Discuss Patching/render brick before tiling in the America area at TilersForums. The USA and UK Tiling Forum (Also now Aus, Canada, ROI, and more)

Rahrah

-
Reaction score
Hi everyone, hopefully someone can help me. I have a brick wall that’s had render put on it and then tiled. I am the tiling the area and scraped off most of the tile adhesive today but the company got their property maintenance guy to start taking it off and realized it was too hard.. BUT he has taken off some of the render on the brick work. Can someone tell me the best and easiest way to fill this render? Do I just use some bond Crete and apply a render for patching before tiling? Any help would be muchly appreciated I have pics but can’t seem to upload them? Most of the tender is completely fine, it’s a bottom section probably 40cm x 30cm that needs patching

Reaction score
I don't have a great experience because I'm a computer monitoring software developer.

On this forum recently since I started home repairs and have questions.

But I searched the Internet for answers and this is what I managed to find out.

If the render on the brick wall has been damaged and needs to be patched before tiling, here are some steps you can take:

Clean the damaged area: Use a wire brush or scraper to remove any loose or damaged render from the brick wall. Make sure the surface is clean and free of dust and debris.
Apply bonding agent: Apply a bonding agent to the damaged area using a brush or roller. This will help the new render bond to the brick wall.
Mix and apply the render: Mix the render according to the manufacturer's instructions. Apply the render to the damaged area using a trowel or float, making sure to fill the area evenly and smoothly. If the patch is deep, you may need to apply the render in multiple layers, allowing each layer to dry before applying the next.
Allow the render to dry: Allow the render to dry completely according to the manufacturer's instructions. This can take several hours or even overnight.
Sand and smooth the surface: Once the render is dry, use a sanding block or sandpaper to smooth the surface and create a flat, even finish. Wipe away any dust or debris with a clean cloth.
Prime the surface: Apply a coat of primer to the patched area before tiling. This will help the tile adhesive bond to the new render.
Tile the area: Once the primer is dry, you can tile the area as planned.

It's important to note that the patch should be level with the surrounding render to ensure a smooth, even finish once the tiles are installed.
Also here is a helpful video HOW TO RENDER A WALL READY FOR PLASTER OR TILES (OLD WALL)

Reply to Patching/render brick before tiling in the America area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.

Tile Contractor Forum. The useful tile contractor website.

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
Apatel
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks