Search the forum,

Discuss Not going to fail is it... in the Canada Tile Advice area at TilersForums.com.

F

Fliselege

Started with a new firm last October, been on this job for 6 weeks now, walls weren't a problem, terrace another story. For starters they covered it in tarpauline and put diesel heaters in, but heat rises, toasty to work in but floor freezing, just carry on they said. Then found dip in floor, told bosses need to build up in self leveller, just carry on they said, use adhesive to build up, took this pic and showed one of the bosses, SLC delivered that afternoon....

Xmas 2012 048.jpg

F

Fliselege

They're not fixed like that now, only laid them like that to prove my point to the pencil pushers, took them up and raised floor with SLC, now fixed properly

F

Fliselege

Cracking house, 5 levels built into rock face right on Oslo fjord, cruise liners dock 100m to the right, one of the weirdest sights I've ever seen, dirty great big ship floating past over next door neighbours roof top
Xmas 2012 029.jpg Xmas 2012 026.jpg

Reaction score
Cracking house, 5 levels built into rock face right on Oslo fjord, cruise liners dock 100m to the right, one of the weirdest sights I've ever seen, dirty great big ship floating past over next door neighbours roof top
View attachment 48050 View attachment 48051
Great looking place m8 !!,and it all turned out right in the end ,! i don't think the adhesive should ever be thicker than the tile !!:thumbsup:

J

jonnyc

well i cant see the dip in the floor from photo and what with those new fandangled clips surely even with a slump there would be no lip and you would be very unlucky to turn the fall against what you laid tiles to.
its a different game in the country where you work now and assume from your good english narrative you do not hail from norway!
i think it is a very technical question as to whether the bed sinks in extreme temperatures or not.
It will depend on the product you are using I guess
sure, in cold climate it will take longer to cure but i have not been told that the tile will slump more in colder weather in uk using an adhesive formatted for the uk.
this brings up loads of questions.
in fact i had a scenario in 2004 where i laid a large area of french limestone inside a house with no heating or windows in place.it was january and freezing but because i had to do a job overseas at a fixed date i could not delay . i phoned adhesive tech line and they assured me that even though i fixed in under 5 degrees this was not a problem and the adhesive would go in to suspense mode!!
this was news to me but was assured that when the temperature raised the adhesive would cure.
so i left the job for few months
I had bedded stone in up to 10mm and i knew that under normal circumstance with the product i used it would not slump but adhesive manufacturer could not confirm what would happen.
as it turned out the floor did not slump/dried out fine and i have been cleaning and resealing it on a maintenace contract ever since.
but I think the question has to be is the adhesive you are using now in assumedly very cold temperatures up to the job you are being asked to do.
i am sure that adhesive manufacturers have a product to suit more extreme temperatures or they may tweak products we know to suit a certain climate .
i remember doing a couple of big jobs in southern sweden in january and it was certainly different than what we were used to. had to heat the sand up in morning just to use it.
heated loo seats in the site units were definitely a new experience !!
Whats it like over there on the tiling front. I have always been intrigued that the biggest jobs i was ever offered overseas were in Norway or alaska
I was offered to quote for four jobs over 1000mts and every one was high end limestone and reclaimed stone from paris ceramics.
at the time i was so busy in uk i turned the chance down as my guys didnt want to work in freezing weather and the jobs were always in winter.
I really wished i had tried to get one of them now just for the experience.
south sweden was fantastic.
carlos from limestone gallery had a monster job over there couple of years ago and unfortunately it was his undoing but he is rising again!
it was all oil men and they must just love stone after drilling through it to make their fortunes is all i can think.

F

Fliselege

Xmas 2012 051.jpg From about where the white bucket is and all the way to the right of it had to be raised. My English is good because I'm London born and bred and there's shed loads of work here on the tiling front ;-)

Attachments

• Xmas 2012 050.jpg
    98.2 KB · Views: 52

Reply to Not going to fail is it... in the Canada Tile Advice area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

I had a small leak in the main water line before the stop tap in my 1950s house. The copper pipe...
Replies
Views
Hi! I'm looking for some advice, I have laid some SLC (Mapei 1210) in our conservatory in...
Replies
Views
Posting a tiling question to the forum? Post in Tilers' Talk if you are unsure which forum to post in. We'll move it if there's a more suitable forum.
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

Advertisement

New Tiling Questions

Replies you've not seen