Discuss Newbuild shower tiling nightmares! in the Tanking and Wetrooms Forum area at TilersForums. The USA and UK Tiling Forum (Also now Aus, Canada, ROI, and more)

N

neologic2k

Hi All,

I recently moved into a new build (5 years old) we had a problem with a shower and had a chap round to tank and re tile, on closer inspection the main bathroom has also leaked. I've taken off the tiles and removed all of the blown plasterboard, this has now been replaced with new.

I was thinking about tanking it myself, but then noticed after watching a few videos that the plasterboard is supposed to be behind the shower tray. The builders (B&£@! Homes) have installed the plasterboard in front of the tray, am I right in thinking no matter what I do, I cant tank\seal it without ripping down the other walls and installing the shower tray correctly?

I've added a few pictures of before and what I've done now with plasterboard.

What I'd really like is advice or options please?

Thanks in advance.

IMG_6793.JPG IMG_6813.JPG IMG_6814.JPG IMG_6793.JPG IMG_6794.JPG IMG_6795.JPG IMG_6796.JPG IMG_6798.JPG IMG_6799.JPG IMG_6800.JPG IMG_6801.JPG IMG_6802.JPG IMG_6803.JPG IMG_6805.JPG IMG_6808.JPG IMG_6810.JPG

Chalker

TF
Arms
Reaction score
That's an upstand tray, so the plasterboard should line up with the inside edge. Looking at your pics, it does.
Personally, I would have removed all the board and replaced with waterproof insulation boards. But you will be ok tanking what you have there.
Use Ardex WP to tank. Firstly, mix a small amount and fill the gap between the board and tray ( mask off the tray first)
Once that has set, use the fibreglass tape in the corners and over the plasterboard to shower tray junction. Also tape over joins in the boarding. Then tank the lot and tile

T

Time's Ran Out

From the original work shown the main reason for the failure is the small cut of tiles at the shower tray. This is a disaster waiting to happen and you must bridge the gap to a sufficient height to make the bottom cut watertight and secure.
The wall plaster needs to be primed and a water resistant adhesive and grout used.
Make sure this tray is solidly fixed/supported as even the smallest movement will result in the same issue. IMG_1497.PNG

N

neologic2k

Thanks Guys,

So seems that building up the tanking material from the tray and tile over the top is the way forward :))

Will post back with results

Reaction score
I would have siliconed between tray and bottom of plasterboard, then the next day then once set,

tank over the lot. Advice late but might help someone else !

N

neologic2k

Thanks Guys,

So attached are the pictures, replaced plasterboard, tanked the whole area, tiled, grouted, fitted door and silconed!

First attempt at this I know there are some tiles out! :)

Really appreciate the advice and support!

IMG_6813.JPG IMG_6852.JPG IMG_6828.JPG IMG_6845.JPG IMG_6815.JPG IMG_6816.JPG IMG_6822.JPG IMG_6826.JPG IMG_6875.JPG IMG_6876.JPG IMG_6856.JPG

Ttt1601

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
Not level clips Andy, just different spacers, handy for metres as you can use them more like removable pegs, just have to make sure the addy isn't in the joint when you put them in, as they are a nightmare to remove when set

N

neologic2k

Agree make sure the joints are clear of adhesive, but they do allow a beginner to get the end lines perfectly for each tile.

Reply to Newbuild shower tiling nightmares! in the Tanking and Wetrooms Forum area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.
Tile Contractor Forum. The useful tile contractor website.

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dawz84
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks