Search the forum,

Discuss New to it all !!!! in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

M

mark0497

I nave taken up the ceramic floor tiles in my kitchen (wife wants new ones) and have been left with all the rock hard adhesive on the floor. I have a couple of questions if anyone could give me some advice it would be much appreciated.

1. Is there an easier way to get this stuff up, other than hammer and chisel/bolster. I only ask as this is taking for ever and its coming up inch by inch !

2. Once all the adhesive is up, do I need to prime the floor or apply self levelling compound ? Its a concrete floor (house is about 7 years old) and is in my opinion in good order.

3. With the wall tiles, they appear to be stuck straight onto plasterboard. Whats the best way to take these off as I just seem to be putting holes in the plasterboard and leaving adhesive all over the walls.

4. Is it better/easier to remove the palster board and effecively start from scratch ?

Thanks in anticipation

W

White Room

Your old adhesive on the floor depends how thick it is, if it's not to deep you could apply the self leveling over it but give it a primer first.

Just take off the plasterboard and refit, far easier that trying to patch up holes:thumbsup:

C

CDS

Agree with above - trying to rescue plaster board is far more time consuming than replacing it - rip it out and put clean stuff up, if nothing else it will give you a nice flat surface to tile onto.

With the floors - If you have an SDS drill with a rotor stop try a decent width spade bit 30 - 50mm. Will remove most adhesives from concrete but if really stubborn get the worst ridges off and self level screed

M

mark0497

Thanks for the replies. Think I will be taking down the old plasterboard and starting from scratch. Having never done plasterboard before. Is it something I could do , or should I pay an expert ???

F

faithhealer

Thanks for the replies. Think I will be taking down the old plasterboard and starting from scratch. Having never done plasterboard before. Is it something I could do , or should I pay an expert ???
I would get a man in and pick his brains if you are in any doubt

Reply to New to it all !!!! in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Hi all. Just wanting some advice and wondering what the pros in here are using nowadays for...
Replies
Views
Good morning all. After a little advice. I'll post pictures a bit later. However.... The...
Replies
Views
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

Advertisement

New Tiling Questions

Replies you've not seen