Tile Forum | America Tile Forum

Welcome to America Tile Forum, the USA Tile Industry. The Tile Association of America.

Discuss New Ensuite in the Australia area at TilersForums. The USA and UK Tiling Forum (Also now Aus, Canada, ROI, and more)

J

JCSplumbing

It is 3. The edges are one. I cut one side then flipped the large off cut into the other side
small cuts around a window dose my head as windows can be the focal point of the room some times its best to center the window rather than the wall its in. the mosaics I do last as I leave a gap to and dog tooth them in thencan get them flush and level also some mosaic strengthener helps keep them rigid when fixing. the backwall looks like 3 tiles could have been used rather than 4 grouting can hide a few thing but also highlight others.
did you go on acourse to do your plumbing or did you pick it up as you went along like your tiling?
No I done a full 4 year plumbing apprenticeship. NVQ Level 3 and Gas Safe.

J

Just Rizzle

It is 3. The edges are one. I cut one side then flipped the large off cut into the other side

No I done a full 4 year plumbing apprenticeship. NVQ Level 3 and Gas Safe.

so if you trained to be a plumber why haven't you trained to be a tiler.

why do plumbers think its easy tiling. is it because theve seen tillers doing it and think that's easy. youre probably a brilliant plumber but looking at your picks your an average tiler m8 find a good tiler in your area and team up then he will get the niggles not you. you could end up like me and my m8 bri we do high end bathrooms for a couple of bathroom companies and most of the time we start Monday and finish Friday or the latest Saturday .
our customers trust us to do a good job as were experts in our own fields we also do the jobs quicker, so the clients have minimal disruption to there lives. when your ripping some ones house apart they get stressed and want you out A S P and because there stressed they turn and the longer the job takes the more time they have to find fault because as soon as you've gone for the night there examining your work in minutes detail. and as tiling is in my opinion an art. it is on show so is always on show for critisimum. the first thing a person sees when they walk in a bathroom is the tiling not the plumbing .so the tiling is what shows the job to be what it is. not the pipes under the floor.

B

Bill

so if you trained to be a plumber why haven't you trained to be a tiler.

why do plumbers think its easy tiling. is it because theve seen tillers doing it and think that's easy. youre probably a brilliant plumber but looking at your picks your an average tiler m8 find a good tiler in your area and team up then he will get the niggles not you. you could end up like me and my m8 bri we do high end bathrooms for a couple of bathroom companies and most of the time we start Monday and finish Friday or the latest Saturday .
our customers trust us to do a good job as were experts in our own fields we also do the jobs quicker, so the clients have minimal disruption to there lives. when your ripping some ones house apart they get stressed and want you out A S P and because there stressed they turn and the longer the job takes the more time they have to find fault because as soon as you've gone for the night there examining your work in minutes detail. and as tiling is in my opinion an art. it is on show so is always on show for critisimum. the first thing a person sees when they walk in a bathroom is the tiling not the plumbing .so the tiling is what shows the job to be what it is. not the pipes under the floor.
'cause tiling is easy! Money for old rope.

S

scotmk

Hi, I am not a professional tiler. So I think I cam comment from a customer point of view.

The back wall looks fine with cuts at each end, though both walls to the back wall should have come onto the back wall not just one side. Though this may not be am issue once grouted and siliconed. But I would have noticed this when seeing it.

The mosaics are not flat they bend in towards the centre which does not look right, I would have said about them.

I agree with the cuts around the corner, this should have been set out from the window, or at least set out so that a full tile comes up to the edge and around so no small bits.

Some tile at the ceiling are not cut the right size to the others and that stands out.

Did you use a long level when checking the tiles as some appear to not align in depth.

I have recently just done my own bathroom and whilst it took me 3 weeks to tile and grout (I am sure some here could have done in a week or less, I made sure I checked all the tiles with a level to make sure they were all flat.

If I was a paying customer I would have these concerns.

I dare say my pics I show here bring out some horrors to look at, which is why I took so long setting out and doing the cuts.

Anyway,just my thoughts from a customer angle.

F

Flintstone

having looked closely at the pics, it's a ***derogatory comment deleted *** tiling job. Leave it to a tiler next time and stick to plumbing

Edited-
Keep comments constructive please folks.

Last edited by a moderator:

GAZ5518

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
.... Setting out is key... Also customers like to see cuts tight and even...
Sometimes Tiling should be left to ... Dare I say ....... Tilers!!..... ( sorry everyone else)

T

Time's Ran Out

There are some pretty disappointing replies in this post IMO.
The lad has asked for advice and put himself up there to be shot down. Questioning his plumbing ability is not the issue and having seen 'Tilers' post work on here of equal ability then help should be provided if our trade is to be considered a profession.
How many of those with the criticism have NVQ's in tiling or indeed are time served.
Give the lad a break, and provide constructive comments so he can come back knowing it's a friendly forum where his input will be welcome.
By the way - I hate plumbers!
:D

GAZ5518

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
There are some pretty disappointing replies in this post IMO.
The lad has asked for advice and put himself up there to be shot down. Questioning his plumbing ability is not the issue and having seen 'Tilers' post work on here of equal ability then help should be provided if our trade is to be considered a profession.
How many of those with the criticism have NVQ's in tiling or indeed are time served.
Give the lad a break, and provide constructive comments so he can come back knowing it's a friendly forum where his input will be welcome.
By the way - I hate plumbers!
:D
Lol...Fair play Timeless....:)

I

Italy

It seems to me that the bigger problem are the tiles.
some errors there is, (row mosaic and some cuts).
but the tiles seem to scrap

I

Ian

I've got to say, there are some ridiculous responses on this thread, some people really need to pull their heads out of their arses. A crap tiling job? Really? It's not even finished yet and yes there are a couple of cuts that could be better and the setting out could have done with a bit more though but, crap? No chance. The internal corners will all be siliconed (I hope) so any uneven cuts will not be seen provided they are all within a couple of mm of each other. As has already been said, this forum is about helping people and offering advice, if you have nothing constructive to say, don't bother commenting.

F

Flintstone

Obviously I'm terribly out of order for having an opinion of the tiling job. The plumber has been tiling for 9 years and is supprised when the customer is 'nit picking'. We all have eyes here and we can all see it's not up to the standard of a decent tiler. If the plumber can't tile to a high enough standard after 9 years he shouldn't be doing it, simple as that!

J

JCSplumbing

Obviously I'm terribly out of order for having an opinion of the tiling job. The plumber has been tiling for 9 years and is supprised when the customer is 'nit picking'. We all have eyes here and we can all see it's not up to the standard of a decent tiler. If the plumber can't tile to a high enough standard after 9 years he shouldn't be doing it, simple as that!
I'll post up pictures when I'm done.

Reply to New Ensuite in the Australia area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

Please note that this thread is old so replying to it may not get a response. You'd be best posting a new thread with a good 4 or 5 word title.
This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.
Tile Contractor Forum. The useful tile contractor website.

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
mcgtech
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks