Discuss New Ensuite in the Australia area at TilersForums. The USA and UK Tiling Forum (Also now Aus, Canada, ROI, and more)

J

JCSplumbing

Hi everyone. Been on an ensuite that I created for a customer. Shower, basin, toilet. 24m2 walls, 4m2 of floor all in ceramic. Every day I've had at least one niggle with customer about something or other on my tiling. I think it's fine. Ive used bagged adhesive, walls are all primed also. I think they are getting a bit too picky. My background is I've been a plumber for 12 years now since school and tiled every bathroom myself after about 3 years in so a good 9 years experience. Any thoughts?

image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg

J

JCSplumbing

mainly about tile cuts and thinking I'm wasting tiles by not starting from edges and there was one tile lipped of which I dug out and replaced. I explained that you can't start from a wall because of the levels etc. Like talking to a wall. I'm patient and like to make my customers happy. A line has to be drawn somewhere

R

Rizzle from the Portizzle

i think i will wait until i see how you finish round the window it will tell a great deal about your thinking

magga

TF
Reaction score
As above, you're going to end up with some small slithers of tile around the window reveal, but that's about all I can spot. Your setting out on the back wall on first photo looks fine to me, if we are being really picky, then I would say there is some unevenness across some of the tiles.

T

Time's Ran Out

A plain white tile is always going to draw more attention than a highly patterned one.
However there are plenty of issues visible in the photos you've provided.
I think the customer has a genuine concern!

J

JCSplumbing

A plain white tile is always going to draw more attention than a highly patterned one.
However there are plenty of issues visible in the photos you've provided.
I think the customer has a genuine concern!
Hi. Where do you see plenty of areas that concern you? I have no issue taking advice. Quite the opposite to be honest.

T

Time's Ran Out

Picture 1 - the cuts to the back wall on the left hand side are uneven and short. Doing the back wall first and then cutting the side walls onto it would disguise this until grouted/sealed.
Picture 2 - mosaics are squashed into border gap and show signs of unevenness. Put a gap the size of your mosaic border + joints all the way around 1st and allow adhesive to dry before inserting mosaic.
Picture 3 - on right side gap to ceiling and joints in tiles are not aligned. Tile above and left of window sticking out.
You've tiled onto unprepared emulsion walls.
Hope this helps.
John

J

JCSplumbing

I've primed the walls. Tile above window I replaced. One thing I did kick myself for is not shifting a half tile or so over to make my l cuts a bit easier. It's annoying when your being watched constantly. All advice taken in. Thanks

J

Just Rizzle

small cuts around a window dose my head as windows can be the focal point of the room some times its best to center the window rather than the wall its in. the mosaics I do last as I leave a gap to and dog tooth them in thencan get them flush and level also some mosaic strengthener helps keep them rigid when fixing. the backwall looks like 3 tiles could have been used rather than 4 grouting can hide a few thing but also highlight others.
did you go on acourse to do your plumbing or did you pick it up as you went along like your tiling?

T

Time's Ran Out

I'am in favour of the 4 pieces on the back wall and also the fact that the window cuts look equal, and therefore the subsequent cut to the back wall makes it look like a tile size bent around the corner.

Reply to New Ensuite in the Australia area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.
Tile Contractor Forum. The useful tile contractor website.

New Tiling Questions

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
Damian
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks