Search the forum,

Discuss mosaic design in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

B

brundlefly

Does anybody have any ideas how to kick this off ?
or do you know anybody that does it ?

A few years ago me & an ex tiling partner came up with an idea how to turn pictures into mosaics, we flushed out an idea how we wanted to fix such a thing as a large mosaic

We wanted numbered tiles that when fixed in the right order made the picture,
So I wrote a little program (coding is a hobby) that scanned a picture and printed out coloured squares that represented the colour of the mosaic at that position,

I thought id re invented the wheel, later on I found a program on the net that did exactly this and better. So I went with “Imagetomosaic” off the net then the problem of actually getting this into a real world item caused a few problems

Anyway most problems were sorted by having an engineering company make up some metal grids for making the thing up…..which worked like a dream
So now I can turn most any picture into a mosaic made of numbered 200 x200 mosaic sheets

wpd54ebd0f.png

Problem 1: finding a mesh back that will hold 12mm x 1 2mm mozzies is hard to find

Problem 2: a good water proof adhesive that will stick the mesh to the mozzies

Problem 3: how to get this off the ground and actually get work

Any thought or ideas would be appreciated

M

MICK the Tiler

Like this you mean?

Attachments

• IMG_1435.jpg
    43.8 KB · Views: 58
  • IMG_1408.jpg
    40.9 KB · Views: 45
G

Gazzer

Just a thought but instead of mesh, could you not use gummed paper on the face of the mosaic so that when it was wetened after fixing it would peel off revealing the mosaic.

M

MICK the Tiler

I'm afraid I can't take the credit for this particular job, but I did 2 pools at a different house that were almost identical to this back in the early 90's.

They are 10x10 glass mosaics that are cellophane faced and all were packed and numbered as to the drawings just like a huge jigsaw puzzle. Looking at individual sheets gave you nothing to work with you really had to follow the numbering process to the detail and once you got a few sections laid out the picture starts to take shape from a distance.

The mosaics were designed and built by bisazza. There cad software creates the blueprints from which the sheets are made. The coral and fish may seem out of focus in the pics, when the pool is filled, viewing them through the water will bring them into focus. The mosaics that are on the floor of the pool are stretched by 300% to compensate for the viewing angle.

Here's a couple more pics

Attachments

• pool_tile0009500.jpg
    43.6 KB · Views: 43
  • pool_tile0017500.jpg
    45.5 KB · Views: 57
P

Pawelzik

Problem 1: finding a mesh back that will hold 12mm x 1 2mm mozzies is hard to find
Problem 2: a good water proof adhesive that will stick the mesh to the mozzies
Problem 3: how to get this off the ground and actually get work
Any thought or ideas would be appreciated

Great idea, I am trying to help, please post me your full adress in UK.
1. I have a fine mesh, will send a sample.
2. I have a liquid dispersion, will send a sample too with explanation what for.
3. Prepare the mosaic on a styropor board covered with cellophane folio, on this arrange the mesh and stick the mosaic onto it with the adhesive (explanation follow ref. to 2.). With the styroporboard you can also transport your mosaic.
Regards, Martin:thumbsup:

B

brundlefly

i spoke to a rep from bisazza a while ago he didnt seem impressed and said well we do that design and manufacture, i said yeh but you fix it as well

i had 2 grids made
1 to fit waxman 10x10mm microtile mozzies
and 1 to fit 12 x 12mm opus romano bisazzas range ( serious colour range)

Great idea, I am trying to help, please post me your full adress in UK.
1. I have a fine mesh, will send a sample.
2. I have a liquid dispersion, will send a sample too with explanation what for.
3. Prepare the mosaic on a styropor board covered with cellophane folio, on this arrange the mesh and stick the mosaic onto it with the adhesive (explanation follow ref. to 2.). With the styroporboard you can also transport your mosaic.
Regards, Martin:thumbsup:

thanks martin

when i wrote 3. get it off the ground i meant how market this sort of thing (sorry)

the mosaic is split into numbered tiles so to transport it is easy just in m2 packs of 200 x 200 tiles
then its just tile by numbers

a clear faced sticky sounds interesting

Last edited by a moderator:
U

user123

I'm afraid I can't take the credit for this particular job, but I did 2 pools at a different house that were almost identical to this back in the early 90's.

They are 10x10 glass mosaics that are cellophane faced and all were packed and numbered as to the drawings just like a huge jigsaw puzzle. Looking at individual sheets gave you nothing to work with you really had to follow the numbering process to the detail and once you got a few sections laid out the picture starts to take shape from a distance.

The mosaics were designed and built by bisazza. There cad software creates the blueprints from which the sheets are made. The coral and fish may seem out of focus in the pics, when the pool is filled, viewing them through the water will bring them into focus. The mosaics that are on the floor of the pool are stretched by 300% to compensate for the viewing angle.

Here's a couple more pics
oh, that is so clever....

Reply to mosaic design in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

I have moved into a new house and want to tile the downstairs bathroom walls. Its not a big room...
Replies
Views
Water Damaged Shower Repairs Shower tile repair – water damage – tile waterproofing Do you...
Replies
Views
Posting a tiling question to the forum? Post in Tilers' Talk if you are unsure which forum to post in. We'll move it if there's a more suitable forum.
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

Advertisement

New Tiling Questions

Replies you've not seen