Discuss Moisture meters for anhydride in the Canada area at TilersForums. The USA and UK Tiling Forum (Also now Aus, Canada, ROI, and more)

S

Spacey

No offense intended Spacey but I been doing this a long time. I know what the Tremex meters do. When I was with my previous employer they did lots I've trials with us but they didn't work consistently enough to be anything but a survey tool.

Who was that then ?
FITA NICF and The Bourne's Say they are super accurate?

Ajax123

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
Who was that then ?
FITA NICF and The Bourne's Say they are super accurate?

I think who I worked for is largely irrelevant. if you want my CV and credentials I will happily supply them but I think that is largely irrelevant.

Both the NCIF and FITA are closely associated with the contract flooring association. This is the guidance given by the contract flooring association

Testing

Residual Moisture Content - Before floor finishes are laid the moisture content of the screed should be checked. The British Standard for testing a base to receive a floorcovering is to use a hygrometer. This provides a non-destructive test and, when tested strictly to the method defined, will give reliable results on calcium sulphate screeds for RH up to 75% (the required limit for floor finishes).

The moisture content of calcium sulphate screeds is sometimes checked using the CM Test/oven drying Method (BS8204 Part 7). This method is a destructive test and, if used, the moisture content should be less than 0.5% at 75% RH

this is the technical guidance from Gypsol, the UK's largest anhydrite manufacturer.

Moisture testing is carried out using a suitable approved method such as a flooring hygrometer
or carbide bomb test.

This is the advice within the tiling association guide to tiling to anhydrite screeds

The European Standard for testing calcium sulfate screeds recommends the CM

(Carbide Method) of testing.

This is the advice given in BS8204:7:2003

The determination of relative humidity by hair hygrometer is equally suitable for calcium sulfate based screeds as for cement based screeds because the readings at around 75 % RH will be reliable. However, it should be noted that at higher values of RH, a hygrometer on a calcium sulfate based screed can give misleading results, making it impossible to determine how fast a screed is drying out. For this reason, alternative methods of determining moisture content of calcium sulfate based screeds are often employed.
A CM tester (“carbide bomb”) can be used or a sample can be oven dried at maximum 40 C.

Not a single one of the industry guides or British Standards offers the electronic test meters such as the Tramex as a suitable test method for anhydrite screeds. Don't you think there is a reason for this?

S

Spacey

I didn't say it's used solely electrically That's only a scan mode to determine where to drop your boxes or drill holes for plugs Same as if your using an MMS
BS is in RH% only

I don't doubt your credentials I just said it's a good machine

S

Spacey

I don't just use moisture testers on screeds I test my ply wood and the wooden subfloor it's being fixed to check they reach an equilibrium so I know it's sufficiently acclimatised

Ajax123

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
I didn't say it's used solely electrically That's only a scan mode to determine where to drop your boxes or drill holes for plugs Same as if your using an MMS
BS is in RH% only

I don't doubt your credentials I just said it's a good machine

You are right they are good machines and have their place but not for testing Anhydrite other than as a survey tool.

Ajax123

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
Not many can recognise a gypsum-based screed either, or even bother to take any kind of readings - ever!
Amen to that brother...

Reply to Moisture meters for anhydride in the Canada area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.
Tile Contractor Forum. The useful tile contractor website.

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dawz84
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks