Search the forum,

Discuss Mixed batches.... opinion please in the Australia Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

T

Tile Shop

I'm gonna start by apologising for starting this one. I can see its got alot of peoples backs up. But tell you what, its given me food for thought. And I'm really sorry for offending anyone with my attitude.... It sucked, was completely out of order and I was wrong. Apologies. It won't happen again.

I'm glad there are some people on here who see it from the sellers side. BUT, even working for one, I can't defend a supplier for sending mixed batches so don't even begin to start trying to defend me.

Put yourself in the customers shoes. Tiles aren't cheap, and once they are up, they're up for a while. I'd be pi**ed if I had to look at that every day knowing i'd paid £2k for effectively my walls being smeared in turd!.

The reason I asked is that we DON'T intentionally send out mixed batches. If its the only way we can fulfil the order we inform the customer and give them the option to accept delivery and inspect to see if they are happy to continue. If not, we collect and either refund or offer an alternative.

Then there's the issue of human error. So we have our system in place to stop it happening. But people make mistakes and it can happen. Warehouse, QC staff not paying attention, FLT drivers loading wrong pallets. Not condoning it by any stretch, but that order could potentially cause a whole world of pain for a fitter and end-user.

Agree or Not. My hands are tied over this. But, our policy is, mixed batches or not, that the customer receives delivery, checks it and notifies us within 48 hours (this is very loose as we realise this is not always an acceptable time frame) if there is something they are unhappy with. Then we have a chance to rectify it. But alot of you say "who pays the tiler if somethings wrong?". Our stance is, the customer shouldn't even be booking a tiler unless they have a product that they are happy for a tiler to fix. Rightly or wrongly, we say the customer. Go to a shed and pick them off the shelf, you can see what you're buying and can make a judgement there and then. Order over the phone or online, at some point they must make sure its what they want. And that is not when they are fixed, or a tiler is waiting to carry on.

The factories issue warnings on the box saying "no complaints once fixed". Most companies say tough, jobs done, can't do anything. We on the other hand, can sympathise, throw the policy out the window and say "sorry, they shouldn't have been fitted, but heres another x-amount of tiles to rectify the problem. In terms of who does the job or pays for the remedial work, we say is down to the customer. Because if they had checked on delivery for shading, damages etc, we'd have had the chance to sort it long before a tiler was even in the diary.

Our complaints follow when the customers ignore this and are then surprised when its not what they expected. Seeing you guys issues over this, I can definitely sympathise with the fixer. You should not be called unless the customer has got something they are happy for you to fit, regardless of who the supplier is.

You have all contributed and put forward some good ideas, some that I can take back to the "powers that be". I'd love to promise that we'll implement some of them and the world will be a better place for everyone but I don't know.

Thank you all and apologies once again.

S

Spare Tool

Must admit in the passed I haven't religiously checked on every job on every box for matching batch numbers, but after reading through this thread I've changed my religion..

Ajax123

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
Sending out mixed batches could actually cause you to fall foul of the provision of goods and service legislation which requires that goods supplied are of the nature ànd substance reasonably expected by the customer. I think it would be reasonabnle, given the nature of a tiled surface that if the tiles are coloured or shaded such that a small difference leads to an obvious change in the colour of the tile face then it would,I think, be considered unreasonable.

Hiding behind unreasonable t and cs is not a suitable defend in law generàlly speaking because taking the t and cs to their logical, albeit ridiculous extreme, you could supply the same tile in been and throw a batch of blue in as well. If the tiler does not notice, say he is colour blind or some such, then you are saying it is his fault as he should have checked them. That is not reasonàble in law. As the supplier it is you that is responsible as you have failed to fufil your obligation to provide goods of the nature reasonably expected by the customer.

O

Old Mod

@Paul C. passionate breed us tilers you know.... :) :) :) ... But thank you for clearing up what you intended to get across regarding batches ... It's not easy to type what you mean and it can also be read in many ways and taken out of context when it wasn't meant to be offensive in anyway...
Haha took the words straight out of my mouth Dave!
Was just about to mention the passion on here!

Got to agree with the last couple of posts!
Fair play @Paul C. for returning to the crime scene and taking an objective look at the subject! :)

Reply to Mixed batches.... opinion please in the Australia Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

Advertisement

New Tiling Questions

Replies you've not seen