Tile Forum | America Tile Forum

Welcome to America Tile Forum, the USA Tile Industry. The Tile Association of America.

Discuss Mezzanine floor prep in the Canada area at TilersForums. The USA and UK Tiling Forum (Also now Aus, Canada, ROI, and more)

D

Dumbo

Thanks for all your input guys, thank you Glynn for saying you would spec it out, appreciate it. I emailed the firm today to say I wouldn’t tile the mezzanine, just to big an area for something to go wrong down the line for me, personally can’t risk it, they agreed that lvt would be the way they go.
On the plus side Glynn there is 350m2 on the ground floor, which happens to be an alpha hemi, so as always will be using anhyfix
In your area and with alpha hemi probably a Tom Mayhew screed . Happy days super flat .

P

Perry

Have tiled a few in the past with the advice of PCI. Now If I was you I would ask Tilemaster Adhesives.

Glynn

TF
Esteemed
Reaction score
But how do we know what sufficient support is without knowing the weight of said motorcycles (or whatever else is put on suspended floors) ..... it is a minefield and one that always bites the tiler, not the manufacturer of fixing materials.
Jcrtiling is bang on for me. The weights and dynamics must have been disscussed and built in to the floor structure, and 38mm chipboard is 110% thicher than the 18mm that is installed in most dwellings and we don't question the strength but trust it has been built to Building Regs, so we should trust the builder will build the mezzanine floor to the same Building Regs. I have always tested all my floors with the glass of water test and would do the same on a mezzanine floor and make my decission on the out come of this test. Its a simple test from the Jurassic Period of tiling.

B

Bill

I have always tested all my floors with the glass of water test and would do the same on a mezzanine floor and make my decission on the out come of this test. Its a simple test from the Jurassic Period of tiling.
Well, I am old but wasn't around during Dorset's formation, what is your glass of water test then?

Glynn

TF
Esteemed
Reaction score
Simple. Fill a glass full to the brim, place it in the centre the floor, step back a couple of metres and give a good stamp /jump and if more than a few drops splash out I would then think the floor need attention. On a large floor maybe in a few places. Don't any one post that some people can stamp harder than others or jump higher than others. This is MY test and I beleive in it but it has not been Trade Marked so feel free to use it.

D

Dumbo

Yes mate, on a Tom Mayhew screed this week, Burgoyne limestone floor, 80m, saw him pump it in, all brown now as they changed quarry?
Apparently had issues with sand supplies but they had three other sands tested and ready to go just in case they had this problem . Still quality work never tiled on a better sceed. Had a potential customer get a surveyor to survey one of screeds because he didn't think it was right , results were a maximum of plus or minus 1 mm over the when lot .

L

LM

Apparently had issues with sand supplies but they had three other sands tested and ready to go just in case they had this problem . Still quality work never tiled on a better sceed. Had a potential customer get a surveyor to survey one of screeds because he didn't think it was right , results were a maximum of plus or minus 1 mm over the when lot .
That’s a snooker table to me.

Reply to Mezzanine floor prep in the Canada area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

Please note that this thread is old so replying to it may not get a response. You'd be best posting a new thread with a good 4 or 5 word title.
This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.
Tile Contractor Forum. The useful tile contractor website.

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lowpaul22
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks