Search the forum,

Discuss Matting Effect on Installed Polished Porcelain in the Tile Cleaning and Restoration Forum area at TilersForums.com.

A

AndyV

A friend has some polished porcelain floor tiles in his hallway. They have been steam cleaned a number of times and now seem to have areas or patches that appear matt.
Have added a pic, but it's not easy to see as it only shows in certain light. Any ideas as to how this could be remedied - if at all it can?

Ta
tile-damage.jpg

T

Tile Shop

Steam cleaner is the big no-no for this one. It will destroy any sealer that was in the micro-pores of the tile.

The picture you have posted doesn't look too bad (probably just the angle), but as its a heavy traffic area such as a hallway, the tiny pores will clog up and to some extent appear discoloured or tarnished.

Give them a thorough clean with LTP Grimex (LTP Power stripper will also work, but its alot more heavy duty), rinse and reseal with the LTP MPG sealer. Buff it up with a microfibre cloth and check the results.

Have a go, see if it works, and if it doesn't you may be stuck with it.............. And tell them to bin the steam cleaner. Unless they intend to re-strip the floor again.

Lithofin BOB

TF
Esteemed
Reaction score
As Paul above, but, I would recomend a test on an off cut or spare tile. If you do remove the nano/ pre seal you may lighten the whole tile . you can then test the re impregnation on the test tile and ensure it will return to the same colour.

Reply to Matting Effect on Installed Polished Porcelain in the Tile Cleaning and Restoration Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Good morning all. After a little advice. I'll post pictures a bit later. However.... The...
Replies
Views
I had a small leak in the main water line before the stop tap in my 1950s house. The copper pipe...
Replies
Views
Hi! I'm looking for some advice, I have laid some SLC (Mapei 1210) in our conservatory in...
Replies
Views
Bathroom floor. I would be grateful for advice on how to prepare my bathroom sub floor ready for...
Replies
Views
Hi all! Just wondering what the best advice is for book-keeping? Been self employed now for a...
Replies
Views

Advertisement

New Tiling Questions

Replies you've not seen