Search the forum,

Discuss Limestone Patio - removal of grout/cement residue? in the America Tile Forum area at TilersForums.com.

J

JuliaB

Hi there,

We recently had a black limestone patio laid and unfortunately there is a fair amount of residue left on it from the excess grout and cement.

Sadly I tried an acidic cleaner on a tile (fortunately not in main view) which obviously corroded the tile and left it grey-ish. My husband then used a steel brosh to try to remove, this also has left a grey-ish mark. Have we ruined it?

Anyway, please can anyone suggest what we can use to remove this grout/cement? Also, is there a product that will keep the tiles looking black (like when they are wet) rather than dark grey?

Any advise GREATLY appreciated!

D

DHTiling

Hello and welcome... you should not use any acidic cleaners etc on limestone.... Have you any pics to see what you have done..?

P

peckers

As Dave has said you DONT want to use any acidic cleaners on limestone as you have found out it etches the limestone. you need to purchase a grout cleaner that is specifically designed for the use with calcium based stone! How much residue has been left on the tiles? and how long has it been left for? do you have any pics?
As to your sealer most sealer companies supply a sealer which gives you a shiny appearence! just be careful that as it is outside that the tiles are completely dry and that no rain is immenent while you are sealing them, if the stone is damp or gets wet strait after applying sealer then it will turn it milky....

D

DHTiling

Just to add, sealers that give a shiny finish are more than likely a topical surface coating sealer and these cannot be used in an exterior location

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

J

JuliaB

I'm confused, does this mean that Del W's suggestions are not suitable for exterior Limestone?

P

peckers

Just to add, sealers that give a shiny finish are more than likely a topical surface coating sealer and these cannot be used in an exterior location

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Tikko make one suitable for exterior.

P

peckers

You should really state that to the OP rather than just say topical sealers can be used.:) coz most cannot..
Appologies I wasnt stating that a topical sealer could or couldnt be used outside. I was just saying that Tikko products make a sealer that is suitable to be used outside and it leaves a shiney wet look finish as i believe this is what they are looking for.
I will try and word it better and fuller in my explanation and imply what I am trying to say direct to the OP in future. :thumbsup:

Reply to Limestone Patio - removal of grout/cement residue? in the America Tile Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

We have just laid an outdoor patio and path using black limestone (now wishing I’d perhaps...
Replies
Views

Advertisement

New Tiling Questions

Replies you've not seen