Discuss Limestone Bathroom floor retile in the Canada area at TilersForums. The USA and UK Tiling Forum (Also now Aus, Canada, ROI, and more)

Steve

TF
Reaction score
Have an 8 metre limestone bathroom floor wants retiling with new limestone . It's got to come up , I'm wondering if the existing adhesive stays pretty solid whether self leveller or filling it out flat with rapid will save having to crowbar up the ply , if not the best way to get the ply up so I can replace with insulation board , not sure what thickness ply is yet ?

O

One Day

Why has it failed? Is the ply to blame? Excessive movement?
If so, leaving it down might be a bad move.

L

LM

It will depend on what your left with once the tiles are lifted. If the adhesive is stuck really well to the floor and too hard to remove then prime the floor with relative primer and use a leveller like BAL Level Max or Mapei Renovation screed and then decouple.
If it's possible to clean the floor of all adhesive residue then you could lay decoupler on top of the clean floor.
Decoupler is a membrane like Schluter Ditra 25 or Bal rapid mat etc.
Your better decoupling as it's stone as well as a timber substrate.
As you don't know what a decouple is is it fair to say that this is a diy project?

Steve

TF
Reaction score
Came out of my time in 1985 , So no it's not diy ,been living abroad for 20 years or so, used Ditra and durabase , just not took notice of it called decoupling, trying to raise height as little as possible.

L

LM

Came out of my time in 1985 , So no it's not diy ,been living abroad for 20 years or so, used Ditra and durabase , just not took notice of it called decoupling, trying to raise height as little as possible.
Fair dues then :)
BAL rapid mat for example is only 0.8mm thick so including adhesive it would only raise your height by about 2mm.

Reply to Limestone Bathroom floor retile in the Canada area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!
Tile Contractor Forum. The useful tile contractor website.

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dawz84
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks