Currently reading:
lash clips not for me!

Discuss lash clips not for me! in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

G

garretridge

was a review on this product a while ago so i bought them from (tradetiler) to help stop lipage problems and to see if they are any good.well was laying 450mm sq porcelain tiles in a kitchen floor and got the tub out and layed my tile then sliped it under 2" from each side as directed and continued to lay my second with my floor trowel then i put second down it would not sit on the adhesive bed properly when you move tile back and forward to acheive a good bond the lash clip wouldnt sit down in the adhesive bed properly so stoped tiles from adhering properly :yikes:i can only see problems ocurring with voids they are very hard plastic with little flex and in my opinion are a waste of money i only layed two tiles and was not happy so i ripped them up and went back to laying them the safe way.mabye someone else has had a better experience with them i didnt and wont be using them again!

E

enduro

My way has no lippage so in no panic to get them but i like the look and idea of them.deep bed 12mm or so might work better?certainly a great idea.maybe different ones are available? Ie that sit closer to floor? Get dave from TT on to give his opinion?
Dave (tradetiler) has just used them when he tiled his own floor...He thought the were brilliant but a bit pricey...:thumbsup:

W

White Room

What worries me is the skill that is requaired to lay tiles with all these new ideas will disappear.
Give it ten years a guy will walk into a property measure a hallway, back to the office sit in front of his computer and do a layout for victorian floors.
A machine will produce a pattern on a web back to be laid and the buffer tiles just to be cut against the edges.
All fast track work and a loss of skilled trades.
Seen it with the plastering, dry linning took over and thats fast track.

Last edited by a moderator:
K

karlm98

i have used them and i think they are pretty good, what ever makes the job easier is fine by me and as long as your 1st m2 is level they do help speed up the rest of the job and i dont need to use my level n mallet as much on rec porcs..a 12mm Trowel is something i would use for larger formats anyway that and a back buttering especially over UFH, no matter what advancements are made in tools the tile n adhesive will always be heavy work and that will keep a lot of folk away from tiling,

has anyone seen the rubi system now that is expensive! it looks like a rip on the tuscan system, the raimondi system looks good and i have heard that it works a treat but still a bit costly the only problem with the lash is a Sore Thumb.

makes me wonder what tilers thought about thinset when it came out they probably said it takes away the skill level and makes tiling less of a trade, you could go back and also say the same about mixer drills wet saws mosaic on a matt etc..all of these have made tiling faster and easier but as we know its not just the tile to walls/floors that makes a nice job its the prep work making sure the surface is good to tile on now thats the skill

B

Barry bp

I use lash clips when i started tiling i layed quarry tiles into screed and gully tiles I have carried out all types of tiling I fortunatley have a reputation for being a very good tiler there is plenty of skill in tiling to a high standard prep grouting see plenty of bad grouting silicon same again marking out.You need 12mm trowel they speed my work up and get perfect finish ideal if there is moderate problems with floor im not too proud to except new technolige even if i carnt spell! :thumbsup:

K

karlm98

I use lash clips when i started tiling i layed quarry tiles into screed and gully tiles I have carried out all types of tiling I fortunatley have a reputation for being a very good tiler there is plenty of skill in tiling to a high standard prep grouting see plenty of bad grouting silicon same again marking out.You need 12mm trowel they speed my work up and get perfect finish ideal if there is moderate problems with floor im not too proud to except new technolige even if i carnt spell! :thumbsup:

i agree with you mate, i see plenty of tile jobs where the tiler didn't even silicone his work ie counter tops, corners and even in bathrooms and i am talking baths and even showers :thumbsdown: unfortunatly there are loads of slap n dash merchants out there doing work on the cheap but i guess thats down to people not wanting to pay for a proper job to be done. I see the newer trims (L shaped) are popular and heard a couple of tilers commenting on them being great cos they dont have to mitre them :yikes:???? i mitre every trim where it needs to be mitered regardless, it looks better and imo a more professional job...:mad2: lucky for me i have spell check on..lol:lol: just bought a load more clips from TT as i have 36m2 porcs over ufh, ditra, ply over 18mm chipboard...my old knees are already aching..lol

K

karlm98

[IMG said:
http://www.tilersforums.com/images/misc/quote_icon.png[/IMG] Originally Posted by Stewart
If you prep a floor properly, there's no need for these at all. I personally can't see how they would make laying large format tiles any quicker and could lead to having voids under the tile. IMO a diy product at best!
Barry bp;493863]I hate DIY but love lash clips they were not invented for DIY quit the contrary
with ya on that Barry , the only reason voids happen is down to trowel notch size..(or a crappy floor surface) ie use the correct trowel and back butter big format tiles..simples help avoiding the voids..hehehe

Reply to lash clips not for me! in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

Posting a tiling question to the forum? Post in Tilers' Talk if you are unsure which forum to post in. We'll move it if there's a more suitable forum.

Advertisement

You're browsing the UK Tiling Forum category on TilersForums.com, the tile advice website no matter which country you reside.