Tile Forum | America Tile Forum

Welcome to America Tile Forum, the USA Tile Industry. The Tile Association of America.

Discuss Issue with shower enclosure fitting in the Tanking and Wetrooms Forum area at TilersForums. The USA and UK Tiling Forum (Also now Aus, Canada, ROI, and more)

Reaction score
Hi all

Having a nightmare with a new quadrant shower that was been fitted (not yet completed due to some cosmetic touch ups and the plastic cover at the front to hide the pipework being on order) and was hoping for some advice.

The shower tray has seemingly been fitted too far back on one side (the right) so the enclosure won't fit properly and it sticks out over the edge of the tray, and I'm aware it should be 10mm inside the tray. I'm naturally going to get onto the fitter to sort it but I want to be as knowledgeable as I can about the situation first.

I've noticed that on the left side, the tray is resting against wall studs. The plastic covering the pipework at the front hasn't been installed yet which is handy as I can investigate more easily. Basically on the left side I can put my hand under the tray and behind it. I can run my hand down the back of the tray and there is what I assume is plasterboard flush to the edge of the tray (i.e. I can run my hand down the board and to the tray in a level motion), i.e. it seems to be resting on top of the tray and doesn't go behind or below.

On the right side however, it's different. There are no studs on this side so the tray seems to have been fitted right up against the wall (whatever material it is). It looks like there is some plasterboard in front of that which again is resting on top of the tray. On this side I CAN'T touch the back of the tray (I assume because it's not against any studs so it's totally against a flat surface). Because the tray goes further behind the plasterboard on this side, the enclosure can't find properly as the length of tray sticking out from the tiles is smaller than the enclosure's minimum adjustment.

I was just wondering if anyone can advise how this should be remedied. Is it a case of ripping it all out and starting again, with the right side of the tray not pushed as far back this time? Also, is it ok for the board to be resting on top of the tray? I assume it can't go to the floor because of the pipework beneath on the right side...

I'm not sure really how it was done before but I had a pentagon tray and enclosure which leaked ever since I moved into the apartment so I lost patience.

I've included some pics of it all (including some pics of how it looked when they ripped it all out) which hopefully help.. one of them shows a hole in the plasterboard on the right side showing the grey plasterboard which I think goes behind the shower tiles... just to show that the sandy-coloured material on the right side which the shower tray is against isn't the material which the tiles are on.

Any thoughts greatly appreciated :)

20200830_134707.jpg

20200830_134744 (1).jpg

20200831_130557.jpg

20200831_125122.jpg

Reaction score
It looks like the tray is recessed into the wall too far , thus not leaving enough room for the screen to fit properly after tiling.

Yeah agreed. Is it ok though to sit the plasterboard on top of the tray as has been done here? Or should that only be done with those trays that have the upstand lip?

Dave

TF
Staff member
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
Yeah agreed. Is it ok though to sit the plasterboard on top of the tray as has been done here? Or should that only be done with those trays that have the upstand lip?
Its not no. Plasterboard should be fully down And under the recently new BS5385 standards, the walls should be tanked/waterproofed.

Reaction score
Its not no. Plasterboard should be fully down And under the recently new BS5385 standards, the walls should be tanked/waterproofed.

Hmm I have no idea what he should do then :/ the existing plasterboard can't go to the ground because of pipework at the bottom.

What a nightmare.

Reaction score
Plaster boarded to the floor shaped round pipework. Classic seal on tray. Walls tanked. Tiled... 👌

Cheers, is there any reason why the plasterboard has to be to the floor though as long as it goes behind and to the bottom of the tray?

jobdone

TF
Esteemed
Reaction score
Going to have problems with the drainage at some stage with the flexible pipe fitted as it is running down then up which will silt up. Very lazy plumbing.

Reaction score
Stripped. Replasterboarded (moisture resistant preferably) pipework sorted so plasterboaed is touching floor. Tanked retiled with trim on outside edge. Then fit door.. If its not done like this no way will it stay leak free. 👍 Just my opinion btw.

Reply to Issue with shower enclosure fitting in the Tanking and Wetrooms Forum area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

Please note that this thread is old so replying to it may not get a response. You'd be best posting a new thread with a good 4 or 5 word title.
This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.
Tile Contractor Forum. The useful tile contractor website.

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
mcgtech
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks