Search the forum,

Discuss Insulation boards in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

J

jimbob

Hi,
I have just been trying to do some research on insulation boards for electric UFH. I am looking at 6mm boards due to floor height restrictions, and I would have thought costs should be comparable for different brands, due to the product being essentially the same. Some boards however (eg Ekoboard) are cheap at about £5 per board, while others are vastly more expensive at £12-£14 per board (Warmup, Marmox, Varme).
(If I had to guess I would say that the more expensive ones are maybe cement faced whereas the cheaper aren't, but what are the advantages of this? I can only imagine it would be a lot more difficult/messy to cut than non cement faced...)
Can anyone tell me please what is the difference between these boards to justify the price difference? I don't mind paying more if the quality and/or insulating properties are superior, but don't wish to waste money just for a brand name.
Cheers
Jimbob

D

diamondtiling

Hi Jimbob,
In a word friend, stick with marmox or lux boards, the cheaper versions are just that, cheap, they are difficult to work with and do not give out the same thermal efficency as their more expensive cousins. I tried the cheaper type once....................ONCE!!
:thumbsup::thumbsup:

pjrich

TF
TF Official Sponsor
Reaction score
The basic difference between the Ekoboard and construction boards such as Marmox, PCS, Thermopanel, etc is the cement re-inforcing. Construction boards have a fibreglass mesh and cement polymer on both sides.

The thermal values are very similar (Marmox, PCS, Thermopanel & Ekoboard have the same U value) and in fact the Ekoboard board has better thermal resistance than Wediboard.

We sell both types of board, but because of the cost Ekoboard is more popular. In excess of 20,000 boards are sold by us each year.

It really is down to your own preference, if you'd like to discuss your requirements or would like a price for either type of board please contact me.

Warm Regards,

B

bert&ernie

Hi Jimbob,
In a word friend, stick with marmox or lux boards, the cheaper versions are just that, cheap, they are difficult to work with and do not give out the same thermal efficency as their more expensive cousins. I tried the cheaper type once....................ONCE!!
:thumbsup::thumbsup:

Have you got proof to show this????

The basic difference between the 2 different types is the reinforced skin. Those boards that have the 'skin' are called construction boards and have a higher point loading.
Those that do not are purely insulation boards and have a lower point loading.

If you are going onto a concrete subfloor then i would defo go for Ekoboard. If you are going onto a wooden floor that has not been overboarded then go for Thermopanel but will need to be at least 10mm. If the wooden floor has been overboarded you can then use Ekoboard.

The difference in insulation performance between the 2 is pretty much non existant.

Good Luck!:thumbsup:

D

diamondtiling

Why would I ever need proof? The cheaper boards are like I said, cheap, they fit the people on a tight budget, lux, marmox and similar are far superior to work with, the post from u heat says there is no real thermal difference between them and I would say that he is the expert. I would imagine that a layer of cement would increase their thermal capabilities by a fraction though.

:thumbsup:

B

bert&ernie

I am not disputing that fact that the boards like Ekoboards are cheaper.

Your original comment was "they are difficult to work with and do not give out the same thermal efficency as their more expensive cousins"

Now being difficult to work with i can understand if you have not used them before but saying they do not have the same thermal properties as another type of board without knowing the facts is wrong!

I can also understand why you think that a layer of cement would help the thermal efficiency of the boards as cement has always been recognised for its thermal properties!!!:thumbsup:

D

diamondtiling

I can also understand why you think that a layer of cement would help the thermal efficiency of the boards as cement has always been recognised for its thermal properties!!!

So as you rightly point out the cement increases the thermal value, thanks for agreeing with me.

:beatdeadhorse5:

B

bert&ernie

lol, never mind.

Try looking up the thermal properties of cement and see what you come up with!!

Last edited by a moderator:

pjrich

TF
TF Official Sponsor
Reaction score
I'm sorry but I can't believe what I'm reading.

Are u guys seriously stating that cement has insulative properties!!!

The majority of underfloor heating systems use a cement based tile adhesive or a sand/cement screed to conduct the heat through.

The insulative part of the construction board is the extruded polystyrene (XPS) in the middle, the thermal conductivity of the cement polymer is high in comparison to XPS.

Reply to Insulation boards in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

Posting a tiling question to the forum? Post in Tilers' Talk if you are unsure which forum to post in. We'll move it if there's a more suitable forum.
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

Advertisement

New Tiling Questions

Replies you've not seen