Discuss Huge gap left in corner. in the DIY Tiling Forum area at TilersForums. The USA and UK Tiling Forum (Also now Aus, Canada, ROI, and more)

Z

Zednero

Hey guys,

New here, and very new to tiling. But I had to take over from the job that was being done, as it was taking far too long and in all honesty, looks to be wrong!

In the corner, I have tiles that do no marry. Resulting in varied sizes of gaps.

So, do I cut tiny bits of tiles to fill them? It would appear to be too big to just use sealant on. If I have to take a tile or two off, I'm not worried. (ideally don't want to rip everything off!

Please see attached pic, and I look forward to any suggestions!

Thanks in advance.

20161009_093919.jpg

Z

Zednero

I can reset the cut ones, the issue would mostly be with the fuller ones. Unless I strip the entire line out and start from that corner, I guess? Then cut the other side to fit?

I was a paying customer.... Not Any more. I paid for tiles, and a deposit until work was finished. Told him to keep deposit, I'll do it myself.

Z

Zednero

You're correct. It's now a DIY job.

I've not tiled before, so came here for advice. I'm thinking of stripping out the 7 bad lines and starting then again. Applying the grout to back of tile instead of the wall and slotting them into place?

O

Old Mod

Remove pale cuts, recut left one first into corner, then recut right on to left.
Do the same with any small dark cuts, so that all small cuts on left go in to corner first.
That deals with small pieces.
With full tiles, remove them all (corners only)
Now cut the full tile short so that it forms a joint in between the last joint of the small cuts and the wall, effectively shortening the full tile to about 3/4.
Then.....cut a piece out of the tile but making sure you cut bevel off, so that you have a piece out of the middle of the tile.
Then put cut edge to cut edge, and it forms an extra joint, but because the bevel has been cut from both pieces, the face of the tile will still be flush.
So it's kinda like cutting your full tile and opening up so that it has a joint in the middle, giving you a longer tile effectively.
If you polish the jagged edges carefully as to not chip the glaze, at a glance it'll look correct.
It's just a slight of hand that will trick the eye of most people.

O

Old Mod

Would I then grout that cut after? Where I pair up the two cut tiles?
Yes, make it a proper joint.
You could try butting them up, but it may look awful, and if the tile was cracked.
If you make it look like it was done intentionally, it's not normally seen.
It's when it looks like you've tried to achieve something, and it hasn't worked, that it looks awful.
A bit like it does now! :D

O

Old Mod

No worries.
You may get other suggestions throughout the day, so if you have the luxury of time, maybe loiter around the forum a bit.
There's plenty of interesting stuff about.
There's a search facility at top right of the page or there's the new post page, visible on menu bar.
Oh some of the suggestions may be a little less helpful! Hahaha
But we're a passionate lot, and mean no harm. :p
Oh there's also some far worse examples of bad workmanship too.
You're not alone, if that makes you feel any better.
Good luck.

Z

Zednero

My whole house has been a learning curve. Left untreated for over 60 years, so currently doing one job at a time, when money permits.

Central heating will be the next big one. One money allows.

Though I'm yet to tile my living room/kitchen floor too. That'll be a fun one! Haha.

I've done a cut, hopefully I can get away with it?

Please don't shout at me, if it's worse than I think! Haha.

It's been a learning curve, so help is always appreciated.

O

Old Mod

Errrrm .....:D
Right idea, it backwards. Haha
You want the smaller piece in the corner and the larger piece next to the full tile.
So as it comes from left to right, full tile, 3/4 tile then cut.
But make the cut half the size of the existing small cuts on wall.
Does that make sense?

O

Old Mod

So in your pic, swap the large and thin cut around.
But make the very small cut half the size of the one below.
Then cut the large piece in between the existing full tile and the small cut.

Reply to Huge gap left in corner. in the DIY Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.
Tile Contractor Forum. The useful tile contractor website.

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dawz84
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks