Tile Forum | America Tile Forum

Welcome to America Tile Forum, the USA Tile Industry. The Tile Association of America.

Discuss How would you lay a combination of glass mosaic and 400x 300 ceramic tiles? in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums. The USA and UK Tiling Forum (Also now Aus, Canada, ROI, and more)

B

bigt

Heres the problem: the customer sprang the following tile on me after the job started. Ceramic tile 300 x 400 x 8mm thick, laid landscape with a glass mosaic trim tile 250 x 400 x 3mm thick laid 1/3rd up the wall between large tiles in a bathroom with a power shower. My question is this: how would you lay the glass trim tile so it was at the same surface level as the field tile to comply with the BS 2mm over 2 meters rule?
Second question: With square section alloy edge trim, in a half tiled room how would you finish the horizontal and vertical EXTERNAL corners e.g. ? We find that 45 degree miters leave a dangerously sharp edge especially around the window reveal?
thanks Bigt

T

TheWrightTiler

would get a cheapo tile mate and cut to same size as trim and then tile behind the trim thus bringing it out to the same size as the field tiles

if tiles are 8mm and trim is 3mm then u need a 4 - 5 mm tile to put behind, beware that youi dont use to much mix as can pack out extra thick

G

grumpygrouter

Heres the problem: the customer sprang the following tile on me after the job started. Ceramic tile 300 x 400 x 8mm thick, laid landscape with a glass mosaic trim tile 250 x 400 x 3mm thick laid 1/3rd up the wall between large tiles in a bathroom with a power shower. My question is this: how would you lay the glass trim tile so it was at the same surface level as the field tile to comply with the BS 2mm over 2 meters rule?
Second question: With square section alloy edge trim, in a half tiled room how would you finish the horizontal and vertical EXTERNAL corners e.g. ? We find that 45 degree miters leave a dangerously sharp edge especially around the window reveal?
thanks Bigt
You may be able to get proprietory angle pieces which do away with mitre cuts.

Grumpy

P

Proper Job

alright mate, using to tiles to pack out with is bad code of practice. Now to do a proper job u need to get some contruction board or even no more ply at 6mm thick attach to the wall with adhesive this will be flat and then use a 3mm notched trowel which will give you a solid bed of around 1mm

So the Hybrid board =6mm + 1mm after fixed = 7mm thats 1 mm short from the 8mm, don't worry because when you fix the hybrid use the correct bed adhesive to make up the difference. I guess you have used a 5mm notched trowel.

6mm notch trowel in dry areas horizonatal direction when trowelled.
8mm notch trowel in wet Area vertical direction when trowelled.
The above is what weber suggest in conjunction with the TA.

Hope this helps

V

Varley

would get a cheapo tile mate and cut to same size as trim and then tile behind the trim thus bringing it out to the same size as the field tiles

if tiles are 8mm and trim is 3mm then u need a 4 - 5 mm tile to put behind, beware that youi dont use to much mix as can pack out extra thick

Thats what i do, and in fact most tile shops have some scrap boxes of cheap tiles in their store room which they will probably just give you (at least my tile shop did) just to get rid of them.

P

Proper Job

metal trim i know what you mean there is one of two things can be done here is to use corner pieces or if you have a really fine file and emery paper you can make the edge really smooth and round without damaging the trims finish

B

basshunter

schluter ditra range is massive in terms of trim and finishes,awesome gear.its the ££££s that could swing it though.got their new catalogue through yesterday... im a big fan

P

Proper Job

Schluter is top quality and costs a lot also. But its the aston martin of tile trims

W

White Room

Tell them to get the border the same thickness as the overall tile, that's what I do and in most cases they agree.

P

Proper Job

whitebeam is correct, but if the customer wants it they will have to pay for the prep work. And if done correct its a proper job :0

Reply to How would you lay a combination of glass mosaic and 400x 300 ceramic tiles? in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

Please note that this thread is old so replying to it may not get a response. You'd be best posting a new thread with a good 4 or 5 word title.
This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.
Tile Contractor Forum. The useful tile contractor website.

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lowpaul22
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks