Search the forum,

Discuss high gloss ext slate ? in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

W

weissy

can someone help me find a high gloss finish for external slate i have used tile doctor and lithofin but they really dont give me that wet look finish

i appreciate i will have to take off the lithofin first and was advised to use some stuff from tile doctor....if any sufggestions on that ?

Last edited by a moderator:
N

nellyb

Lithofin slate seal gives a high gloss finish (well as high as i've ever seen) and enhances the colour

W

weissy

maybe im looking for something im just not going to get ?? could liyhofin slate seal be something different to the lithofin sealer i used ??

W

weissy

definitely similiar but i guess all lithiofin tins same i will ahve to check when i get home but thanks to all fo help

W

weissy

the lithofin i used was the normal sealer not the slate sealer do you think this would make much difference to the finish i got and would i be able to put the slate sealer over the normal sealer

N

nellyb

thinking you might have used lithofin mn stain stop which is an impregnating sealer and doesn;t really alter the look of the stone. Slate seal sits on top of the stone so can be applied afaik over stain stop. Slate seal is removable using lithofin wax off.

and yes, most of the tins look the same.....you';ve gotta read the name off the tin.

D

DHTiling

Lithofin slate seal is not particulary suitable for outdoor use....It can be used but will deteriate quickly and need frequent re-applications....

You are better of leaving slate to the elements and just removing algae growth etc as it happens..

Some info is here for you>>>>> Extensive Limited>MN Slate Seal - 1L

W

weissy

lithofin product query

for external slate patio i wanted to enhance the colour and finish somewhere aproaching a wet look finish .the product that seems to be most appropriate seems to be stain stop plus but an alternative suggested was lithofin colour intensifier...........any suggestions what would be best in this circumstance please ??

apologies if i seem to be repeating myself but want to make sure i get this right and i am not in trade

R

raycarmody

Hi ...did you find a good product ..have a similar requirement and one forum listed Lithofin Slate Seal but it requires re-applying each year ..which do not really want..

Another site listed McMonagle Stone Gloss but again not seen the product ...I have a double requirement 1 external black limestone + 1 interior cream limestone floor ...which is hallway / kitchen / utility room with ivory grout....it has been stain stopped with numerous coats and always looks dirty..so was looking for something that would protect the surface a bit more..(I regret putting this floor in the kitchen as obv stuff does get dropped on it and normally cleared off straight away but still gets slight marks on the floor)

Reply to high gloss ext slate ? in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

I have moved into a new house and want to tile the downstairs bathroom walls. Its not a big room...
Replies
Views
I had a small leak in the main water line before the stop tap in my 1950s house. The copper pipe...
Replies
Views
Hi! I'm looking for some advice, I have laid some SLC (Mapei 1210) in our conservatory in...
Replies
Views
Posting a tiling question to the forum? Post in Tilers' Talk if you are unsure which forum to post in. We'll move it if there's a more suitable forum.
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

Advertisement

New Tiling Questions

Replies you've not seen