Discuss HI GUYS! a forum noob has arrived in the Australia area at TilersForums. The USA and UK Tiling Forum (Also now Aus, Canada, ROI, and more)

T

Tile Shop

So.... Signed up to the forum, looked at loads of threads (found the one about poor workmanship absolutely hilarious)and have decided this is a must for tiling info and offer some input of my own.

So about me. I'm not a tiler, and I've only ever done about 15 very basic simple tiling jobs for myself and family.

I actually work for one of the online tile shops / trade distributors (would rather not say which one if thats ok). Started off sweeping the warehouse, one saturday around 18 years ago and just gone up and grown up since then. Most recently I have been a Team Leader for the online department.

The staff turnover was unbelievable so of course, having so many new staff with limited training selling tiles, adhesives, preps, tools, that they had very little knowledge of, caused a few "issues". It annoyed the hell out of me, and the bosses.

So finally I have been given the go-ahead to set up an internal "Technical Support" department, consisting of just me, helping the online department to start with, but the branching out to the rest of the business (Trade Sales, Showrooms and the ASM's) as it becomes bigger and hopefully more successful. The aim is to train up the new starters to they have what i consider to be enough basic knowledge to start them of, and progress to more in-depth training as they settle in. I will also be the the main goto person if anyone has any technical related questions they can't answer.

Ok so I've had 18 years experience in the product and know quite a bit about how our customers should proceed with the products we supply. But I am probably nowhere near as clued up as the Pro's who frequent this site, in the exact "how too's". Hence why I've joined.

This department isn't fully set up yet as I need to get myself trained up to a standard worthy of confidently being able to give professional instead of half-arsed advise to our staff and the public. So I've set up various training sessions at/with BAL, Schluter, LTP, Palace and Mapei to start with. This on top of going out with one of the best tilers in our area to get some first hand experience..... (yep, a pen pusher is gonna get his hands mucky).

So here I am and looking forward to browsing the forum some more, and reading/learning about some of the things you guys have to put up with every day.

Bye for now....

PC

P

p4ulo

Nice to have you here matey.
This forum has in the past been a bit "TOPPS" negative, but I love the friendly faces at my local branch, and what they lack in knowledge the answer is ALWAYS on here.....
Welcome....

T

Tile Shop

The reason I don't want to say is that I am here purely for my own learning so I can do a better professional job and install some knowledge into others, without having the company tag (or target :) ) above my head. You guys may have dealt with us, may not. Had a good experience, had a nightmare.

Either way, I'm not here to be a scapegoat. Just want to learn, and I think learning from real tilers doing it every day may even teach me more than sitting in a classroom taking notes, from people who just want to sell you their brand.

Hope thats ok with you guys.

Dan

Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
Hi Paul,

Welcome to the forum. Awesome intro that is. Don't worry about not saying where you're from that's fine with us. :)

Done a stint in a tile shop myself and I dare say not half as many products and tile types were available back then compared to now. So I feel for you training newbies up.

P

p4ulo

Mate, totally understand thats cool.
Wasn't saying you were from Topps, I was just saying.
Actually....cos you aren't from there you'll probs be fine.
So much wisdom on here, prepare to be fully wised-up by some proper pros.

Reaction score
I have an account at topps as it is the nearest place that sells bal.Of course they know jack about tileing.what they are good for though
is selling me the broken bags,good ole boys.

Reply to HI GUYS! a forum noob has arrived in the Australia area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.
Tile Contractor Forum. The useful tile contractor website.

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dawz84
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks