Search the forum,

Discuss Herringbone floors. Why should we charge more. in the Canada Tile Advice area at TilersForums.com.

Simon Dale

TF
Esteemed
Esteemed
Maidstone
Hi all
Been a bit quiet on posting. 800x120 plank 105mts. Priced a job on the basis it would be random planks for x. It will now be Herringbone without border starting from patio doors ending up where it will. (Customers decision). Imo it is easier than random no need for clips unless bowed cos tiles are almost like landscape. Should we be charging more ? Once you have a line and stick to it you cant go wrong ? Tiles will be running into 2 rooms. Am I being daft ? If you would like this in the arms please switch it ?

W

WetSaw

Measuring cuts takes longer, cutting them is more arkward, setting out is way longer. Negotiating door ways will take way longer. It's just all round more arkward Simon!

Not as arkward as spelling awkward;)
Mind you, you posh types speaking with the plum in your mouth it does sound like arkward...

Last edited by a moderator:
H

hmtiling

If customer wants to change from original quote then only makes sense price can be renegotiated for all the above reasons. It’s like getting a body shop to price for painting a plank of wood and turning up with a Lamborghini countach expecting it to be painted for same price!
Have you heard those lads talk ? If you got in a room with Simon Garry and Marc you would need a translator! It's all apples and pears, dog and bone, ruby murray:D
It's not even English!

B

Blunt Tool

A9EB2EEF-927E-4AE0-8D29-A073C3B5DE48.gif
It's not even English!

L

LM

Without question I’d be charging more. As already said the extra time involved in set out and cutting is gonna be way more than an hour or two and by the time your finished you’ll be kicking yourself if you don’t. Random bond planks are a dream to fit by comparison. Depending on the cutting in I’d be charging between 10-20% more.

Simon Dale

TF
Esteemed
Esteemed
Maidstone
From what I’ve read elsewhere you won’t be doing it! Yes/No?

But if you did would you lose it for an extra days money.
Still thinking about it John. I have to speak to the Boss. I always price things on what's the minimum I want per day. If I can make that then Herringbone, basket weave doesn't make a difference. :)

Reply to Herringbone floors. Why should we charge more. in the Canada Tile Advice area at TilersForums.com

Posting a tiling question to the forum? Post in Tilers' Talk if you are unsure which forum to post in. We'll move it if there's a more suitable forum.

Advertisement