Discuss Help with CSCS Cards? in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums. The USA and UK Tiling Forum (Also now Aus, Canada, ROI, and more)

W

whufc

Hi,
I have decided i want to become a wall and floor tiler, i have been looking at all dufferent courses to go to, and have also been ringing around tiling companies round my area to see if they will take on any trainees?
I have had a company asking me to get my cscs card, but am not sure which "card" to obtain. Trainee or labourer. The tiling compnay have told me to get this and to ring them as soon as i have got the CSCS, to arrange some experience on site etc. offering £50 -£60 a day?
I hope it all goes to plan as it could be a big break for me in the tiling industry?
appreciate any help? or comments
Thanks
WHUFC

W

woodie

Hi mate,welcome to the world of tiling. As Deano says go for the trainee card and grab some experience, there's plenty of training courses on here to look into. Ask this company who's going to pay for the training and on-site assessment cos it's a little expensive, it cost me £450 not so long ago, if they are going to put you with an experienced tiler to train you up all the better. 50-60 a day isn't all that much but it's a start the more experience you get the faster you get so make sure it doesn't stay at that price as you can earn that in a matter of hours after a while. All the best Mike

S

Spud

Hi mate,welcome to the world of tiling. As Deano says go for the trainee card and grab some experience, there's plenty of training courses on here to look into. Ask this company who's going to pay for the training and on-site assessment cos it's a little expensive, it cost me £450 not so long ago, if they are going to put you with an experienced tiler to train you up all the better. 50-60 a day isn't all that much but it's a start the more experience you get the faster you get so make sure it doesn't stay at that price as you can earn that in a matter of hours after a while. All the best Mike
1st year apprentice tilers start on £90 per week £50-£60 per day is very generous you should jump at the chance if they are offering you that sort of money

B

bal

Go for the Trainee one as the labourer one will only allow you to be a labourer
Are you sure your right about cscs being different for labourers and trainees ! I did mine 3 yrs ago and answered core test questions which relate to operatives and that was joined to my NVQ so that made me a trainee, i put my 16 yr old son this week in for the test under operative . The cscs test is for everybody or anybody at any level wanting to enter a proper site , i dont think theres one for trainees and one labourers, unless im missing something ive got the test book infront of me and it says nothing about trainees and labourers.

W

woodie

1st year apprentice tilers start on £90 per week £50-£60 per day is very generous you should jump at the chance if they are offering you that sort of money
i didn't start my tiling on 90 quid a week i did a little course and started with Taylor Tiles they put me with an experienced tiler and i started earning...a lot more than 90

W

woodie

Are you sure your right about cscs being different for labourers and trainees ! I did mine 3 yrs ago and answered core test questions which relate to operatives and that was joined to my NVQ so that made me a trainee, i put my 16 yr old son this week in for the test under operative . The cscs test is for everybody or anybody at any level wanting to enter a proper site , i dont think theres one for trainees and one labourers, unless im missing something ive got the test book infront of me and it says nothing about trainees and labourers.
i was rather curious about that as mine was an experienced worker card

T

The D

http://www.cscs.uk.com/RunScript.asp?page=133&p=ASP\Pg133.asp
:thumbsup:

T

The D

if you apply for cscs card,tick the box for GENERAL OPERATIVE,that covers everything more or less!
click here..............ConstructionSkills - The Health & Safety Test
when you get the book you only need to read the blue section!
good luck!
GREEN CARD

The green card is available to operatives who carry out basic site skills only and on the reverse shows the occupation the individual is involved in.

There are two ways to apply for a green card: via NVQ level 1; or by employer's recommendation (industry accreditation), which is only open for a limited period of time. The employer must use the industry accreditation competencies

BLUE CARD - EXPERIENCED WORKER

This card is available to everyone with on the job experience (normally at least one year in the last three), but missed the industry accreditation opportunity.

To qualify for a card you need to:
Check to see if your trade is covered by CSCS.
Pass the health and safety test

The card is valid for one year and is non-renewable.

The card is issued on a temporary basis, while a NVQ or SVQ is being achieved. It is expected to be replaced by a skilled five year card on achievement of NVQ or SVQ Level 2 or higher.

An Experienced Worker Card can not be replaced by a Construction Site Operative or a Basic Skills Green Card.

BLUE CARD - SKILLED WORKER

You may qualify for a blue skilled card if you have achieved an NVQ or SVQ level 2 or if you have completed an employer sponsored apprenticeship and completed a City and Guilds of London Institute Craft Certificate.

If you do not have these qualifications, you may apply for a skilled card if you are experienced in your job (see Experienced Worker Card for more information):thumbsup:

S

Spud

GREEN CARD

The green card is available to operatives who carry out basic site skills only and on the reverse shows the occupation the individual is involved in.

There are two ways to apply for a green card: via NVQ level 1; or by employer's recommendation (industry accreditation), which is only open for a limited period of time. The employer must use the industry accreditation competencies

BLUE CARD - EXPERIENCED WORKER

This card is available to everyone with on the job experience (normally at least one year in the last three), but missed the industry accreditation opportunity.

To qualify for a card you need to:
Check to see if your trade is covered by CSCS.
Pass the health and safety test

The card is valid for one year and is non-renewable.

The card is issued on a temporary basis, while a NVQ or SVQ is being achieved. It is expected to be replaced by a skilled five year card on achievement of NVQ or SVQ Level 2 or higher.

An Experienced Worker Card can not be replaced by a Construction Site Operative or a Basic Skills Green Card.

BLUE CARD - SKILLED WORKER

You may qualify for a blue skilled card if you have achieved an NVQ or SVQ level 2 or if you have completed an employer sponsored apprenticeship and completed a City and Guilds of London Institute Craft Certificate.

If you do not have these qualifications, you may apply for a skilled card if you are experienced in your job (see Experienced Worker Card for more information):thumbsup:
i have a gold card ,you may have this if you have achieved nvq level 3 advanced craft and can supervise site jobs also you can also have it if you have industry accreditation b this is very rare only a few tilers were given this when the scheme 1st started

W

whufc

they said i would be starting around £50 -£60 a day, but minus deductions its going to be less? right:mad2:

S

Spud

i still think its a good offer for a trainee, learn all you can from the others tilers ,the good thing about the tiling industry is your money will quickly rise as you get more skilled and eventually when on price work you will do really well

L

LM Ceramics

woodie i think 50-60 pound a day is a good start after all the firm is paying money to train someone with no experience in tiling so the firm at this moment wont gain anything i started on 70 a week 4 years ago. i would rather learn of a tiler than pay for a short intensive course, there isnt alot of firms willing to take on trainees now. i doubt the firm will pay for the training though i would bite their hands off with what they offer you. as gary says once you have a little more experience you will be on price in no time

good luck and i hope you get with the firm experience is priceless

Last edited by a moderator:
W

whufc

i have got my cscs test tuesday read the book (blue section) 4 bloody times now! hope to pass it! straight forward really, I just hope this tiling firm dont let me down after i have told them that i now have my CSCS. fingers crossed!

Reply to Help with CSCS Cards? in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.
Tile Contractor Forum. The useful tile contractor website.

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
Apatel
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks