Discuss Help! How do I complain about my tiler? in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

Ajax123

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
As several people have already posted - why not just confront the tiler with the issues you have and ask him to put them rught. He might surprise you and that would save all the hassle of going legal with it. If he won't play ball then speak to the trading standards for advice. The TTA are independent but expensive. The BRE may also be able to help with this. They also independent. NO idea if they cheaper than the TTA or not though.

L

leevander

Hi all.
He has come round and I have pointed out the problems. He suggests that the amount of water coming through is more than what the small cracks in the grouting would allow, so we are going to test each element of the system to see where the leek is coming from.
He has agreed to seal round the shower controls and re-grout the areas that have small cracks and says that he did seal the plasterboard prior to fitting the tiles
Movement in the floor is apparently causing the cracks between the floor tiles. He will remove all of the grout and have another go at grouting it but mixing in pva or something? I have to admit that I think the floor will be the biggest bone of contention and that ultimately, the tiles will have to come up and more strengthening beneath is needed. Why wasn't this done first time round!!?

I did contact trading standards and they suggested that he should be given the opportunity to rectify the problems before I take further action.

I have taken pictures and am making notes etc. I am also going to contact the TTA and get a quote for a report....just in case.

Thank you all for your advice. I really do appreciate forums like these that can help people like me. I will keep you updated with the saga....

D

Deleted member 9966

lee

please can you tell us what the tiles are? ceramic, porcelain, stone, travertine....

your tilers says the cracks in the grout in the floor tiles is because there is movement in the floor. you say the tiler fitted hardibacker to the floor, but how was this board secured? because if it's not screwed down enough, there will still be flex in the floor.

could you also tell us what adhesives and grouts were used? and were they flexible?

thanks
GRR
:driving:

T

Time's Ran Out

GRR - I think you're going to have to get yor overalls on in your next picture!
Need to see some adhesive on the face and grout dust in the hair.
Good advice.

John.

H

hillhead

Maybe no flexi adhesive used on floor?maybe dusty surface with no priming??
Maybe shower valve seal leaking? the list is endless here!! Unless it's known what prep work and materials were done and used we're in the dark here! maybe only the tiler knows this all.

H

Hawkofeagles

did he lay a bed of adhesive under the HBB before screwing it down and If so how far apart were the screws??

C

CBTC

'flexible' gear isnt going to make up for lack of strength / too much deflection in the sub-floor, whatever was used. This is most likely the issue with regard to the floor.

Reply to Help! How do I complain about my tiler? in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

There are similar tiling threads here

Hi! I'm looking for some advice, I have laid some SLC (Mapei 1210) in our conservatory in...
Replies
Views
I had a small leak in the main water line before the stop tap in my 1950s house. The copper pipe...
Replies
Views
Good morning all. After a little advice. I'll post pictures a bit later. However.... The...
Replies
Views
This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!
Tile Contractor Forum. The useful tile contractor website.

Replies you've not seen

New Tiling Questions

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bob Marley