Tile Forum | America Tile Forum

Welcome to America Tile Forum, the USA Tile Industry. The Tile Association of America.

Discuss Has your computer been suffering lots of error messages? in the America area at TilersForums. The USA and UK Tiling Forum (Also now Aus, Canada, ROI, and more)

Reaction score
Got a phone call from an Indian man claiming to be "From Windows Tech Team." My computer has been sending out numerous error messages - he said I should go to my computer and he would tell me how to fix the problem because my computer will suffer a "terminal crash." :yikes:

Yeah, right.

Incidentally my home phone is ex-directory and the caller knew my name too!

Check this information out from Microsoft:
Microsoft – Official Home Page - http://www.microsoft.com/en-gb/security/online-privacy/phishing-scams.aspx
Then share this with your friends.

Last edited by a moderator:

Dan

Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
I would assume you've clicked on a link in an email and filled in your details. Sometimes they look like a password reset form. Say for ebay or a bank.
So I'd try to have a think which email it might have been and I'd consider changing your passwords for your important stuff.
The best advice for this is - never click on a link in an email if it's telling you to for some security reasons or offer or something.
If it is saying go to ebay, physically go to ebay in your browser (well, not physically haha) so you know 100% you are on ebays own website.
I've seen some clever domain names used for phishing and get emails every day trying to nab some details of mine.
[code]ebay-seller.secure-logins.com/change-password.html[/code] etc they look like so at a quick glance you think you're going to some secure ebay seller area. You're not, you're going to some website that is nothing at all to do with ebay.
I got one just yesterday that looked like HMRC sending me an email and wanting me to login somewhere. I forwarded it to HMRC Fraud dept so they can look into it.
Pretending you're HMRC (or the King's tax collectors back in the day) used to be high treason and the punishment was death by hanging. Very confident 'hackers' (phishers) doing it if they're doing it with HMRC these days.

Reaction score
Thanks for the advice Dan.

This kind of thing can often appear out of nowhere - though the popular view with this scam is that one individual is behind it, having somehow obtained personal details from a computer or software company, but this has been going on since 2008 and nobody has stopped it yet....

The phishing emails just keep coming - why Bradford and Bingley want me to log on when I have never had an account with them! And the most bothersome current ones are the folks who all want me to link my website to theirs!

All I try and do when a scam that could easily fool a lot of people hits me (which I feel this Windows Errors scam is capable of) is to post it on as many sites as I can top keep others aware.

Dan

Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
It's been going on since you could enter details online somewhere. Late 90's maybe.

Phishing for your hotmail account back in 2000 was a biggy. They'd then check to see what you have used your hotmail for (most used email account back then) such as web stores and things, then they'd have your address and personal details if they login to those too.

Some clever people out there doing it. And actually managing to get away with it for years too.

The link requests that you get will largely be automated. A 'bot' (basically software that is running on-going) will scan the internet for email addresses and web forms to click on / fill in, and send the same message thousands of times a day. Eventually they will end up with somebody linking to them.

Similar with the phishing emails. They'll scan the net and send dozens of types of emails. They really don't care what it is they send as long as it says 'click here to change your password as it has been breached' and yada yada yada. So they'll try for Lloyds, HSBC, Natwest customers and so on, as most people have a bank. They'll do ebay and paypal, as many people have those. And they'll just keep changing the wording a bit.

If you ever reply to one of these, even to swear at them or whatever, you are confirming that your email address is actually active, and their emails are getting through spam filters, so you will eventually get more of those types of emails as they know it's working.

I often find that a 'bot' is still existant long after the users has stopped collecting the data. Once a bot is started, they're hard to stop. They can automatically install on peoples computers, and they then use that computer to send emails, some emails will have the 'bot' in it and it keeps the thing living.

What security companies find out is that the controller of the bot has long given up but the bot is still automatically carrying on with its intended job.

A very dodgy world this internet if you don't know what to expect and are not so clued up.

D

Deleted member 9966

my father in law got stung not long ago. he received a phone call at home apparently from his ISP claiming a new virus was going around and that his pc could be at risk. for 50 quid they offered to remote access the pc, cleanse it and then install a new anti virus to protect it. he rang his wife to tell her what had happened and then went ahead and gave these random people access to his pc. the mother in law went mad when she found out and got the eldest brother in law round straight away (degree in IT and many many years working in IT for large companies) and within 10 minutes he'd found a virus that had been planted. father in law is a prat tho.

Dan

Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
See it can happen.

If anybody calls me and starts to go through security checks I tell them I'll call them back on their number I can find on their website (such as bank, phone, etc).

And somebody I don't know I'd just never speak and hang up.

But that's me. It is the vulnerable they aim to get hold of.

Y

Yorkshire Tiling Services

I find that having my own website has increased the amount of spam e-mails and calls that I get one hundred fold.The most annoying are people offering me more work,but I have to pay to register and also the people who offer SEO services,promisinhg to get me on page one of Google when I am there already. The others seem to be from phishing scammers, like pretending to be from your bank etc,it is always interesing to select view full header on received e-mail and check their ip address... usually the e-mails supposedly from Lloyds,Barclays etc actually come from India,Seattle,Croatia etc.Pity some people get fooled by these.

Dan

Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
Most will probably be automated. So I'd try to get a decent spam filer. Or change your email address and display it as sausage "at" sausage .com - so people can type it out or whatever but automated bots can't click on it. The best thing to do though is have a web form with some anti-spam feature. Like on Mosaic Artist | MAKEitSO MOSAICS | Professional Mosaic Artist Scarborough, North Yorkshire | Mosaic Art for example. Cuts down on a lot of it (but not all).

Once you're on some email lists, you're never off them. I used to get to the point of changing my email address quite a bit once a lot of emails needed to be checked. Now I use Anti Spam - Spam Filter - Spam Appliance - MailFoundry - our server rack has a separate email server that has some clever software on it and filters 99% out - the other 1% it sends you a daily update email containing all the email 'subjects' or 'titles' and I click to release them if I know they're genuine, or click to block them to teach the server what type of things I block and don't want.

Costs a fair bit over the year but it saves me at least an hour a day every day. So it pays for its self.

Reply to Has your computer been suffering lots of error messages? in the America area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

Please note that this thread is old so replying to it may not get a response. You'd be best posting a new thread with a good 4 or 5 word title.
This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!
Tile Contractor Forum. The useful tile contractor website.

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lowpaul22
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks