Search the forum,

Discuss Grouting going off colour in the Tile Adhesive / Grout Advice area at TilersForums.com.

S

Sam K

I have grouted a floor using the BAL Smoke grey however it is not coming out that colour and is very patchy. Some bits are light grey and some are dark. It has also happened to me before. I am using a fresh clean bucket, added water and stirred with my hand with a glove on to get the right consistency, however don't know why I'm getting this reaction. Any suggestions? I have attached photos

IMG-20180731-WA0036.jpg IMG-20180731-WA0034.jpg IMG-20180731-WA0035.jpg

O

Old Mod

Grey grouts are notorious for drying patchy nowadays.
You should empty the contents of the bag in to a dry clean bucket first and dry mix the grout.
This will ensure that the pigments are evenly mixed throughout the grout first, then mechanically mix the grout with a small paddle.
This will be especially true if you’re not mixing the entire bag all at once, and you should make sure that mixes are identical, proportional to the amount of water used.

Another reason a grout will dry patchy is because of efflorescence. (Excess water at some point) the grout dries too slowly and salts are drawn up thro the grout because of the slow rate of moisture release.
That can be caused by standing water already in the joints when you grout, or using excess water when washing off.

It does appear tho in this case tho that you’ve just not mixed the grout thoroughly enough and the pigments are not evenly distributed throughout the grout mix.

One other reason it can happen is if you try and ‘top up’ already drying or dry grout.

F

Flintstone

I don’t think that’s an issue with the pigments not mixed right, I think that’s a problem with over washing or washing too soon, or both.

I

Italy

Grey grouts are notorious for drying patchy nowadays.
You should empty the contents of the bag in to a dry clean bucket first and dry mix the grout.
This will ensure that the pigments are evenly mixed throughout the grout first, then mechanically mix the grout with a small paddle.
This will be especially true if you’re not mixing the entire bag all at once, and you should make sure that mixes are identical, proportional to the amount of water used.

Another reason a grout will dry patchy is because of efflorescence. (Excess water at some point) the grout dries too slowly and salts are drawn up thro the grout because of the slow rate of moisture release.
That can be caused by standing water already in the joints when you grout, or using excess water when washing off.

It does appear tho in this case tho that you’ve just not mixed the grout thoroughly enough and the pigments are not evenly distributed throughout the grout mix.

One other reason it can happen is if you try and ‘top up’ already drying or dry grout.
sorry marc,
I had not noticed that you had already said.
for me in the morning English is mixed with Italian and dialect...:mad:

Reply to Grouting going off colour in the Tile Adhesive / Grout Advice area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Hello there, Relatively recently we had a new en-suite fitted (complete rip out of the old...
Replies
Views
Water Damaged Shower Repairs Shower tile repair – water damage – tile waterproofing Do you...
Replies
Views
Posting a tiling question to the forum? Post in Tilers' Talk if you are unsure which forum to post in. We'll move it if there's a more suitable forum.
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

Advertisement

New Tiling Questions

Replies you've not seen