Search the forum,

Discuss Grout cracking in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

B

bluerover

Yes its floor. The ply was 6 mm rather than the 9mm I normally use, but this was a repair job - I didn't do the original. However, there was negligable movement as there were more than 4 screws per sq ft. I used Benferfix flexible adhesive. Tiles stuck well. The grout was Mapei waterproof grout. I bought this from my local supplier. I asked for Epoxy grout as it is in a wet area, (shower), but he didn't stock that and said the Mapei waterproof was as good. I never checked its flexibility. Maybe that's the answer. Thanks for reply.

L

LM Ceramics

got to be the exisisting floor underneath i use to use 6mm ply before i discovered this forums and a couple of bathroom floors i did had call backs of grout cracking have used 12mm or 9mm screwed down properly never any problems

another common grout failure is bad mixing of the grout when we were apprentices we were shown correctly how to mix grout some of the apprentices at my old firm after a year couldnt mix properly lump and all sorts

M

medlar

i am assuming that seeing as it is the repaired area that is cracking,and that was the original reason for the repair (grout cracking away),that the floor is at fault,not the ply you used.
Seems logical that if the original floor,then the repaired floor both reacted in the same way,and in the same places it has to be an underlying fault (no pun intended) with the original floor

Reply to Grout cracking in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

Make sure to mark a post as a solution for better transparency.

There are similar tiling threads here

• Question
Hi! I'm looking for some advice, I have laid some SLC (Mapei 1210) in our conservatory in preparation for tiling. A couple of days after there's a lot of very fine cracks which have appeared, you...
Replies
Views
  • Question
I had a small leak in the main water line before the stop tap in my 1950s house. The copper pipe had worn away over the past 70 years, causing a small crack in the copper. A plumber/builder fixed...
Replies
Views
https://www.tilersforums.com/threads/shower-bath-tiling-preparation-plaster-and-wooden-windowsill.83462/#gsc.tab=0 There was some heated argument in the above thread! I don't have much...
Replies
Views
  • Question
Hello, after watching so many instructional videos and planing, I just can't understand how to tile a simple drywall construction in our bathroom. I got some good advice here so I hope you guys...
Replies
Views
  • Question
Hi, I am planning on tiling my concrete garage floor with porcelain tiles. The concrete was laid down several years ago by a previous owner, and it looks like it was also polished and sealed -...
Replies
Views
Posting a tiling question to the forum? Post in Tilers' Talk if you are unsure which forum to post in. We'll move it if there's a more suitable forum.

Advertisement

You're browsing the UK Tiling Forum category on TilersForums.com, the tile advice website no matter which country you reside.