Discuss Glass Resin filled Travertine in the America area at TilersForums. The USA and UK Tiling Forum (Also now Aus, Canada, ROI, and more)

Reaction score
Guys and Gals,

This is something I have not encountered before as far as restoration is concerned, basically, the walked on areas seem to have lost the wear layer, and the light traffic areas still have the gloss polished finish. (On some of the part worn tiles, the wear layer has a jagged edge like someone has painted glass on to the tile and it's cracked off)

To restore them:-

1. Is there a product to bring the polished surface back. (I doubt this very much)

2. Is it a case of replacing the damaged tiles with new tiles with the wear layer on

3. Does the shiny surface need to be removed from the good tiles with say Twister pads
so as to match the dull ones, and then restored back to shine with wax,gloss sealer etc.etc.. or twister polishing pads.

I'm looking for the most cost effective and least disruptive way to do this, and I daren't try grinding the wear layer off in case it doesn't work properly. Incidentally, where the dull tiles are, where the holes still have the resin filller in, there are shiny spots in those areas.

Would love to know what you reckon.

D

DHTiling

Hi Ken..

Firstly.. is this a polished travertine or just one with a topical sealer on that leaves a sheen.?

Reaction score
Hi Dave,

It has a glossy finish (well where the wear layer is anyway), it just looks like a very thin layer of glass but thicker where the natural holes are in the trav, and it's not very absorbent. It's Topps Murano trav.

D

DHTiling

So you are not sure whether is has a topical sealer on.. by what you describe Ken it does seem that way.. as a polished stone would not have what you say from wear..

Reaction score
Dave, the products that have been previously used in attempt to revive it, are Fila's products as Topps recommend for this range. After the initial strip back with their tile and stone stripper, polished travertine and marble protector was used to re-seal it (non topical), then polished stone restorer (a kind of wax restorer that requires buffing after application). My gut feeling is that this was a complete waste of time, because, you can see where the glossy layer finishes on the part shiny tiles, there is a jagged edge, which you can feel with your finger nails which is very hard, you can't pick it off at all.

D

DHTiling

This stone restorer seems to have done this then.. I would strip it back and either just impregnate it or use a topical sealer if the customer wants a shine/sheen finish..

Reply to Glass Resin filled Travertine in the America area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!
Tile Contractor Forum. The useful tile contractor website.

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dawz84
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks