Search the forum,

Discuss General pointers. in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

E

ern

Hi guys. Ive done a couple of tiling jobs now, mostly indoors but also at some friends places. The jobs ive done have turnt out ok butr in my heart of hearts I know they are not perfect and could all be better. This is probably something that comes with experience.However tiling is something I enjoy and will consider doing in the futureafter a couple more courses. There are a couple of questions though that I could use your clarification on.I saw in a link on thread posted a while ago that to establish whether a wall is straight or not a 2M straight edge is used with 3mm packers at each end. IS this standard in what you guys do to survey a job. If it is out how much addy can you use to straighten things out? Also when it comes to sillicopne and grout I was taught to grout interneal coners then sillicone on top but I noticed on SWE's guides that this is incorrect. Can you advice please.THanks fellas, Ern.

M

MICK the Tiler

There are a 100 ways to test a wall for "True" and one you have mentioned which works well. I tend to just place a straight edge flat along the wall and have a look and I can feel where things are not flat. With time though you can just run your hand over a wall and "Feel" the humps and bumps.

As far as packing out with glue pre-mixed should only have a max bed thickness of 3mm. Bagged addy you could safely double that aslong as you gave it plenty of curing time.:thumbsup:

If you can you should silicone your job before you grout allowing it to cure fully. failing that and sometimes you need to grout and silicone in the same day grout first leaving the corners free of grout then silicone last.:thumbsup: If you silicone over grout you defeat the purpose of siliconing in the first place (A flexable joint) also silicone hates sticking to grout so will peel off over time.

Reply to General pointers. in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

Advertisement

New Tiling Questions

Replies you've not seen