Search the forum,

Discuss Floor tiles around fireplace surround in the Canada Tile Advice area at TilersForums.com.

T

Tony80

Hi all, looking for some advice. I have recently removed my old fireplace hearth and taken up my wood laminate floor. I plan to carpet the room but i want to lay some floor tiles as opposed to a hearth around the fireplace. I would like the tiles to finish flush against the carpet, so the carpet and tiles end up being level. My current plan is to put some 12mm plywood in and tile over with 6.5mm thick tiles. I dont have carpet yet but im thinking thickness of carpet and underlay will end up somewhere between 18-20mm. Do my calculations on the ply + tiles seem reasonable once adhesive is also added in? My other concern is what to use as edging around the tiles. I am thinking some 20mm thick hardwood strips would be perfect but i cant seem to find any....Any advice is really appreciated :)
20160913_221145.jpg
20160913_221145.jpg

T

Tony80

I did the same with no more ply, but only because i was making it larger than the origional concrete area
That looks a nice job! The reason i was going with ply vs a concrete base was also due to the fact that i was making it wider than the original base. For me i still want the tile level to finish flush with the carpet so i just need to work out what size base i need for the 20x20cm 6.5mm thick tiles to sit on to line up with the carpet (prob 18-20mm total thickness) And looks like i dont necessarily need a word trim edge now :)

Reply to Floor tiles around fireplace surround in the Canada Tile Advice area at TilersForums.com

Make sure to mark a post as a solution for better transparency.

There are similar tiling threads here

• Question
Bathroom floor. I would be grateful for advice on how to prepare my bathroom sub floor ready for tiling.I have removed the floor boards and plan to lay 18mm WBP plywood.The question is, what...
Replies
Views
Hello I plan to tile our bathroom with 60x60 cm tiles (8 mm thick) and the shower (because of the slope from all sides) will be done with mosaic tiles (5x5 cm). After researching I came to the...
Replies
Views
  • Question
Hi all. Just wanting some advice and wondering what the pros in here are using nowadays for cutting large format porc? Ive been relatively lucky up until recently and been able to cut most of...
Replies
Views
  • Question
I had a small leak in the main water line before the stop tap in my 1950s house. The copper pipe had worn away over the past 70 years, causing a small crack in the copper. A plumber/builder fixed...
Replies
Views
  • Question
Hi, Can't seem to find a solid answer as I realise so much depends on multiple factors. I'm planning to tile my kitchen floor with 8mm porcelain floor tiles (660x440mm). My kitchen floor is...
Replies
Views
Posting a tiling question to the forum? Post in Tilers' Talk if you are unsure which forum to post in. We'll move it if there's a more suitable forum.

Advertisement