Search the forum,

Discuss finally finished my tiling course in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

F

faithhealer

the told me to find the centre of a wall (if there isnt a window there) and then plan out to see what your 'best cut' would be at the end of the wall and either place your first tile at the edge of the centre line or place your tile in the middle of the centre line.
What about height wise, compensating for wonky floors and ceilings?

J

jag000

What about height wise, compensating for wonky floors and ceilings?

i measure downwards to get a good cut at the floor and at the point of the cut i nailed some batons into the wall using a spirit level to make sure it was the same all the way along, then i took the baton as the starting point and worked upwards from there. when i reached the top i took the batons off and did the cuts near the floor.

F

Fekin

This is where I did my tiling course, and afterwards I thought it was brilliant, but that was only because I only really knew what they had told me about tiling on the 4 day course.
Then within a few days I found this forum, and after only an hour reading through random threads that I came to the conclusion that most of what I had been "taught" on the course was near enough plain wrong, though I did enjoy the course as I was doing it.

D

Dale44

From the pic's you have posted the course looks very much the same as the first course I do. Could not believe the difference when I went to N.E.T.T. The difference between a diy and a professinal training course.
If I knew any thing about computers I would post the pic's from my first 5 day course. They didn't even know how to fit trims around a window.:ban:

225driver

agree with all that has been said

should have been shown setting out properly, my course went over this time and time again

all our windows,baths,sinks and toilets were wonky and awkward.

That said the tiling looks great :hurray:

Enjoy i am (will always be learning)

Andy

J

jooper

Hi guys,

Just reading over this thread, I'm about to change career and become the first female tiler i know (!) but it concerns me that people seem to be taught different 'best' ways to set out or start the job (apologies if my terms are incorrect).

I've only spoke to 2 tilers so far and they both said they were told a different way to the other.

So my question is, is there a specific right or best way to start a job?

Thanks in advance for any advice......

UKTT Darren

TF
TF Official Sponsor
Subscribed
Reaction score
There are different methods of setting out, some basic and some advanced, we teach the advanced one, you will know where every cut in the bathroom will be in under 10 mins before even putting the first tile on the wall, cannot speak for other centre methods but everyone who has been on our course, and there are lots on here will tell you it works perfectly every time, be carefull of the training centres where the tiles are finishing perfectly here there and everywhere, this doesnt happen in the real world, thats why all are units are layed out to test you, everything will be a cut. We have over 4 years of teaching private courses now and and still our feedback is 100% satisfied positive replies, speaks for itself.
Regards
Darren :thumbsup:

D

dingabell

I'm in the same boat as Jooper. I'm about to sign up for a course with Ableskills and have been looking around at videos of setting out etc, but no two tilers seem to use the same methods. I think the hard part is that in my case, I'll be putting a large proportion of my redundancy into my course, and I'm really hoping this will put me in a good position to start out on my own. I'm assuming that all tilers have their own ways of doing things depending on who they learnt from, and previous job experience?

D

dingabell

I've just realised how old this thread is. What a muppet! My question is still valid though I suppose.

Reply to finally finished my tiling course in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

I am looking for 1 wickes Mississippi grey tile - damaged 1 tile in my kitchen and they have...
Replies
Views
I had a small leak in the main water line before the stop tap in my 1950s house. The copper pipe...
Replies
Views
Hello, I'm just a home owner who doesn't have much experience with tiling but I'm looking for...
Replies
Views
Hi, I am planning on tiling my concrete garage floor with porcelain tiles. The concrete was laid...
Replies
Views
Water Damaged Shower Repairs Shower tile repair – water damage – tile waterproofing Do you...
Replies
Views
Posting a tiling question to the forum? Post in Tilers' Talk if you are unsure which forum to post in. We'll move it if there's a more suitable forum.
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

Advertisement

New Tiling Questions

Replies you've not seen