Currently reading:
Encaustic tiles.

Discuss Encaustic tiles. in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

M

Mark Handyman

Hi I've recently laid some encaustic floor tiles. They were kept meticulously clean throughout laying. They were sealed with the recommended sealant, fila fob, before grouting.
However, The cleaner they recommend isn't cleaning them up enough to put a finished seal on. After 3 attempts.( fila ps87).The grout colour is limestone on a patterned white tile.
Any ideas how to give them a good clean? Thanks.

M

Mark Handyman

See attached pic IMAG1450.jpg

Depending on what type of sealant you plan to use, you might consider if the thin residue of diesel that might remain on your tile is compatible. It would not be w/ the sealant we have been recommending lately which is more of a top-coat than an impregnator. You can sand lightly w/ 200 or 250 grit sandpaper. Any courser will leave visible scratches, any finer will polish and can leave polished hot spots which may show later. Just a thought.

S

Spud

Depending on what type of sealant you plan to use, you might consider if the thin residue of diesel that might remain on your tile is compatible. It would not be w/ the sealant we have been recommending lately which is more of a top-coat than an impregnator. You can sand lightly w/ 200 or 250 grit sandpaper. Any courser will leave visible scratches, any finer will polish and can leave polished hot spots which may show later. Just a thought.
have you tried the method I recommended ?

Yes, Mosaic del Sur sells cement tiles and recommends the modern-traditional methods of proofing and polishing.
Because of our clientele our situation is different in the USA. We do not have small services who will come out and crystalize your tiles. It is done by huge companies who arrive from across country in a 40 ft truck with ride-upon machines. They crystalize floors in gigantic stores like Home Depot, Costco, Sam's Club, Wal-Mart. They are not interested in small projects.

So we experiment endlessly with top-coat type 'sealants' to provide good protection from stains and as close to a no-care finish as possible. We live in a no-wax society. It is not even sold in most stores here any more. Quite a challenge for us. I suppose this falls under the "transparent composites' mention on the M del S instructions.

I lived in Costa Rica 40 years ago and the floors there were polished daily by the young girls in the family w/ pieces of coconut husk. The floors were gleaming.

As for grout clean-up.

I have not tried the sawdust method but have watched it being used. But it was water-dampened sawdust. No oils.

I am very interested in any advice on no-care top-coat finished for cement tile available in UK.

And the restaurant and home owners are not interested in maintaining a paste wax finish on top of an impregnator so therefore are not protected from stains like red wine. We also find that installers have a more is better approach to impregnators, and the gummy residue left behind grabs dirt over time.

S

Spud

I dont do too many jobs using cement encaustic ,last one i did was 3 years ago and i didnt use any tile adhesive to fit the tiles or seal them prior to fixing them , the tiles were soaked in a water butt for 24 hrs then drained and stacked for 30 minutes prior to being fixed in sand and cement the tiles were simply cleaned with a sponge while fixing them but i did use white cement for the bonding slurry here are a few pictures ,the tiles were supplied with an impregnator and i used a paste wax to finish them and used a 15 inch rotary buffer to finish the floor,the tiles did bloom with eflouresence 6 months after they were fixed after a flood from the central heating which was simply removed with coarse wire wool and vinegar here are few pictures of the finished job

Attachments

• SP_A0086.jpg
    139.5 KB · Views: 46
  • SP_A0092.jpg
    29.3 KB · Views: 40
  • SP_A0131.jpg
    145.9 KB · Views: 38
  • SP_A0124.jpg
    176 KB · Views: 39
  • SP_A0125.jpg
    143.5 KB · Views: 38

Reply to Encaustic tiles. in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

Posting a tiling question to the forum? Post in Tilers' Talk if you are unsure which forum to post in. We'll move it if there's a more suitable forum.

Advertisement

You're browsing the UK Tiling Forum category on TilersForums.com, the tile advice website no matter which country you reside.