Currently reading:
Encaustic Tiles, advise please.

Discuss Encaustic Tiles, advise please. in the Canada Tile Advice area at TilersForums.com.

W

Waluigi

good evening everybody...

I have some Encaustic Tiles to lay on a Bathroom floor. It’s been a while!

Any advise would be gratefully received. If I remember correctly the last time I did these was a good ten years ago, and all I remember is that I used Stain Stop MN and kept the tile surface clean.

Any advise on adhesive to use, sealer etc would be good. Also order of installation would be helpful.

It’ll just be the usual 18mm ply overboarded with 6mm hardibacker, glued screwed and taped as per MI

Here’s a pic of the tiles in question.....
6C80B53C-3A22-4F2F-9AF9-DED0A80067AA.jpeg

F9D26A7B-9B2A-4F2D-AE13-C1590C8C7F8C.jpeg

W

Waluigi

These are 16mm thick, Albert. Would that still be possible? I hadn’t even considered it.

@Andystiletiling I think it would be possible but I’d have to cut the mounting brackets back a bit on the Bath. Probably use a thick XPS Bath panel Board. I’ll probably cut the Foam board first and take a look. It would be an incredibly heavy removeable panel. I always have my panels removeable.

Albert

TF
Arms
Esteemed
Gateshead NE8, UK
Are they the thick ones Albert?

Explain to me more about this technique. I’ve not done it before. Many thanks. :thumbsup:
Before cutting machines became readily available you cut tiles with
a pin hammer and a cutting chisel you drew a line and tapped a break
in the surface, you then tapped the back of the tile sharply behind
your break line with your pin hammer to separate the two pieces
I still cut a lot of tiles this way except instead of the cutting chisel
I score with my rubi cutter and then break with cutting hammer.
It still works for me

Albert

TF
Arms
Esteemed
Gateshead NE8, UK
Sorry don't mean to hijack the thread but seeing we've got the old school in the room ;) how did they cut marble, travertine etc before the days of grinders and wetsaws?
Wet saws have been in this game long before I started, most marble
was cut in a marble works, as far as I can recall. It was very rare [for me anyway] to come up against stone, trav, granite. Most of that was done by stonemen.

Reply to Encaustic Tiles, advise please. in the Canada Tile Advice area at TilersForums.com

Posting a tiling question to the forum? Post in Tilers' Talk if you are unsure which forum to post in. We'll move it if there's a more suitable forum.

Advertisement