Search the forum,

Discuss Encaustic tile troubles in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

R

Rina2

I am not a tiler, just a woman with tiles. I had new cement encaustic tiles laid down about two weeks ago. First a sealer was applied then a grout. I bought the brand recommended by the manufacturer. The grout seems to have left a greasy film which I am having a very hard time removing. It makes my floor look grimy. Most of the floor is solid with a border design, making the mess more visible. The second problem is that when I move the table or frig it leaves a scratch on the surface. I wouldn't say a deep scratch, but not something I look forward to accumulating over time.
I would appreciate any professional input. I am at my wits end. Thanks very much, Rina

kilty55

TF
Arms
Reaction score
hi rina sounds liek the sealer has left residue ,this may be causing the drag marks etc you are experiencing on the tiles,can you say which sealer was used please and what has your tiler said about this thanks

R

Rina2

The sealer used was Lithofin Stainstop W. The tiler did not have much to say. He thought it was the grout, but he may not have that much experience. He put on the first coat of sealer. After it dried, I lost patience and put on the second coat.Talk about no experience. I did see two or three streaks when it dried.

R

Rina2

No when should that have happened. Sorry if that is a basic question. And if that is the problem, what do I do now?

simplythebest

TF
Arms
Reaction score
I can almost guarantee that it wont be the sealer but more likely the grout staining, i always use 2 pre-coats of sealer prior to grouting and even then the grout always leaves residue, this is removed with a cleaner then i follow with another seal and after that waxxing to give maximum protection.
Encaustic have a very particular method of installation and must be kept meticulously clean throughout the whole laying process.
If you are not practiced laying them you WILL have problems.
hope you get them sorted.

M

m3fitter

these tiles require sealant and cobblewax to finish and protect, the Encaustic cement tile is unstable until waxed, i would recommend lithofin waxoff, then a deep clean with alkaline based lithofin easy mncare, then reseal with MN Stainstop and finally Lithofin cobblewax, left on for 10-15 mins and buffed. Initially strip the tiles and clean to desired finish, prior to protecting Rita.

Reply to Encaustic tile troubles in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

Advertisement

New Tiling Questions

Replies you've not seen