Search the forum,

Discuss Do you charge extra for having to cut round sinks and WCs? in the Australia Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

R

RDTiling

I have a customer who is contemplating asking me to tile around their bathroom facilities.

At our initial meeting they had said they would prefer them removed but now seem to be changing their mind.

The job was passed to me through friends, so I kept my prices down on the assumption there were going to be no obstacles, keeping my time spent there to a minimum.

Do any of you charge extra for cutting round these or do you just include it as part of your sqm rate?

Sean Kelly

TF
Arms
Reaction score
If they are changing the job spec, then you change your price.

You know yourself that that cutting around a basin, pedestal, a cistern and a bowl will add quite a bit of time so you must charge accordingly.

If I was asked to tile around these objects then 'Yes' I would charge extra.

R

RDTiling

Thanks Sean (and CJ).

That was my way of thinking but didn't want to come across as though I was trying to milk them for extra's.

Its the first time Ive found found myself in the situation where the customer wants to go down this route. I can't understand why personally.

Do I charge per extra cut (what would be a reasonable price) or just add a couple of hours at an hourly rate onto the total cost?

D

dave l and l

i would charge a fair bit more for cutting round a sink and a toilet it could add a fair amount of time onto job, i would probably tell them it would be cheaper to get a plumber to remove then refit
i dont think i have tiled round a sink of toilet in years

R

RDTiling

i would charge a fair bit more for cutting round a sink and a toilet it could add a fair amount of time onto job, i would probably tell them it would be cheaper to get a plumber to remove then refit
i dont think i have tiled round a sink of toilet in years

The other issue I have is that the plumber won't give me a rough idea of the cost of removing it until he has seen the job, otherwise I would set my price slightly higher than his in the hope that it persuades them to go with the removal.

The job i actually three bathroom floors (all in one house) so thats 6 obstacles to tile round.

Andy Allen

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
No big deal imo
Ive just finished 3 small floors.. bathroom, en-suite, and cloakroom....cut round toilets and basins in all three rooms. ..took 2 days from start to finish so charged 2 days day rate plus materials....any good tiler should be able to cut round these things exactly and make it look as though the sanitary ware is sitting on the tiles.
I wouldn't charge per m2 just charge your day rate plus materials...:thumbsup:

Reaction score
I was beginning to despair on this thread til I read Andy Allens post. It adds about 15 minutes to cut around each item. It's really not that hard - the main issue is whether the customer intends to change the porcelain in the future.

Reply to Do you charge extra for having to cut round sinks and WCs? in the Australia Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

Advertisement

New Tiling Questions

Replies you've not seen