Tile Forum | America Tile Forum

Welcome to America Tile Forum, the USA Tile Industry. The Tile Association of America.

Discuss Disaster! Grout stained porcelain tiles - tiles weren't sealed in the Australia area at TilersForums. The USA and UK Tiling Forum (Also now Aus, Canada, ROI, and more)

M

Meek

Hi,

we laid some ESL ceramics Molise beige tiles in the kitchen and used Granfix Maxigrout in brown colour (not my choice) and the grout has stained the tiles badly. My builder/jack of all trades didn't follow the instructions to do a test on a spare tile and dived straight in and.. oh dear I feel sick.

We've been scrubbing the tiles for HOURS with grout remover (wickes) and it's not making a difference. The tiles look awful. Any advice on what to do to rectify this or is it hopeless?
Thanks

Last edited by a moderator:
Y

Yorkshire Tiling Services

broken link removed

This will do the trick, follow instructions for dilution & washing off.
Ensure you wear rubber gloves and eye protection. Very strong, will burn skin.
Ensure adequate ventilation.

M

Meek

Hi, thanks for your replies everyone. I've managed to get a photo from my mobile so apologies for the quality. I'll try using the ltp cleaner if I can get it, we've got a Tile Giant locally so should be able to get it from there if it's open tomorrow.

The tiles are matt porcelain but they have small holes in them which hindsight tells me I should have insisted on having sealed.

Anyway, what do you guys think, is it bad?

Attachments

• tilestains.jpg
    203.7 KB · Views: 141
M

Meek

Granfix Maxi Grout

Hygienic Maxigrout

Is picture framing something to do with efflorescence?

edit. I forgot to mention, the tiles had plastic on them which was left on when grouting then it was peeled off. (don't ask, I wasn't there - but I think the plastic was to protect the tiles !)

D

DHTiling

It isn't efflorescence.

By looking at the pics it is picture framing stains.. how long since it was grouted..?

D

DHTiling

OK..

what i will suggest is leave it till monday and see if the damp framing subsides, if not then please do come back..

It could just be moisture within the tile edges that has not dispersed yet.

M

Meek

It was around a week and a half. He laid the tiles with cement rather than adhesive as the floor was uneven and it's quite a large area. Is there any way to tell the difference between damp staining and dye-staining?

Reply to Disaster! Grout stained porcelain tiles - tiles weren't sealed in the Australia area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

Please note that this thread is old so replying to it may not get a response. You'd be best posting a new thread with a good 4 or 5 word title.
This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.
Tile Contractor Forum. The useful tile contractor website.

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
Apatel
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks