Tile Forum | America Tile Forum

Welcome to America Tile Forum, the USA Tile Industry. The Tile Association of America.

Discuss Cutting thick Travertine stone pavers in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums. The USA and UK Tiling Forum (Also now Aus, Canada, ROI, and more)

B

Brereton

I'm putting in a patio in my back yard. We decided on going with a Travertine stone paver (6"x12"x1¼"). I've cut ceramic tiles with a small, cheapy, wet tile saw. It worked great for my tile jobs but the tiles were only ¼" thick or so. These pavers are over an inch thick and I doubt the same saw has enough power to cut them. I've seen wet saws I can rent that use a 7" diamond blade. But I'm wondering if a chop saw with an abrasive blade (used to cut metal) would work.

Does anyone have experience cutting the thick Travertine stone pavers? Some of the threads I've read on here mention water staining, which has me concerned.

B

Brereton

I can rent a tile cutter but was thinking that the standard tile cutter wouldn't be powerful enough since this is thicker and actually a stone (not a tile).

T

Time's Ran Out

If you are worried about water staining the stone from a wet cutter - don't put these blocks outside!
Apart from a bit of dust your best bet would be hand held grinder with a decent diamond blade.

D

DHTiling

I have been cutting these all day today.. with my dewalt D24000... flew through them..using them around a pool as copings.

Most lads who use them for the intended use as pavers just cut them with a stil saw..

And they are fine outside.. they will only stain from the usual stuff like interior will but you can just jet wash them down to get the mildew etc off with weathering.

Or you can seal them, the choice is yours..

Are you laying the Opus pattern ones with a tumbled edge.?

B

Brereton

Not familiar with what an Opus pattern is. They come 6"x12" and the pattern I saw has a 6"x6" in the middle with 6"x12" stones encircling it.

If you are worried about water staining the stone from a wet cutter - don't put these blocks outside!

Ha ha...I didn't even think of that! Good point. I got so wrapped up about my question I wasn't thinking clearly.

I ended up buying a Ryobi tile saw that has a 2¼" cutting depth. It's more than what I need but the price was only a little more than a 1 week rental for a similar saw (MK something or other). My back yard is a wierd shape where the patio is going so there are no square corners (great for the first patio I ever did, ehh?). That means I'll be doing a LOT of special cuts so I opted for something with a lazer guide. It's one of those tools I may use a few times in my life time but that's what I thought with my small tile saw (4" blade). That one has more than paid for itself because my friends passed it around and used it a LOT.

A

Aston

hi mate

i have a makita petrol saw with a diamond blade.....cuts like a hot knife through butter...cut along the line to make an indent, then wear down the begining of the cut and then the end to stop any shearing off.:thumbsup:

you can rent these out for about 10-15 a day
ed...............as tj says, water the water for staining, dry cutting is much better imo

ed

Reply to Cutting thick Travertine stone pavers in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

Please note that this thread is old so replying to it may not get a response. You'd be best posting a new thread with a good 4 or 5 word title.
This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!
Tile Contractor Forum. The useful tile contractor website.

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lowpaul22
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks