Tile Forum | America Tile Forum

Welcome to America Tile Forum, the USA Tile Industry. The Tile Association of America.

Discuss Cutting Stainless Steel Tiles in the Canada Tile Advice area at TilersForums. The USA and UK Tiling Forum (Also now Aus, Canada, ROI, and more)

C

cossie

I'm no stranger to tiling but the wife has got me this time, she has chosen 50mm square stainless steel tiles on 300mm sheets to tile the kitchen with, about 5sqm worth. They are thin sheet steel on ceramic backs about 5mm thick in total.

Whats the best way to cut them? The thought of using a hack saw is just horrific and my wet disk cutter at 150mm I assume would be too large for such a small tile. I've thought of using a Dremel with a metal cutting disk but I've no experience of using them, also the oscillating multi function cutters but again I've never used one.

Any ideas or experiences would be most welcome before I divorce her and have the glass splash-backs I want.

I

Ian

I've tried to wet cut some before and found that the water from the saw softened the glue holding the steel to the porcelain backing, making the steel fall off.

Reaction score
I've had this too Bri, so in the past, I've resorted to cutting the metal with a hacksaw and using my little montolit cutter (with rubber table to avoid damage) to score and snap the ceramic from the back once the mesh is removed, but you can't always get away with it, lol, I've been lucky with most and they've fitted well in the areas fixed and not needed to cut them, if they're with glass mosaics as well, I substitute them with the metallic looking glass ones :smilewinkgrin:

Reply to Cutting Stainless Steel Tiles in the Canada Tile Advice area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

Please note that this thread is old so replying to it may not get a response. You'd be best posting a new thread with a good 4 or 5 word title.
This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!
Tile Contractor Forum. The useful tile contractor website.

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lowpaul22
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks