Tile Forum | America Tile Forum

Welcome to America Tile Forum, the USA Tile Industry. The Tile Association of America.

Discuss College task – help needed please in the Australia area at TilersForums. The USA and UK Tiling Forum (Also now Aus, Canada, ROI, and more)

O

Oli_Spencer

I’ve been set a task at college that I would like some help with please?

The aim of the task is to persuade tilers to buy their tiles directly from the manufacturer rather than their local trade/tile store. So my question is what would make you switch from buying from a distributor to a manufacturer? Would it be things such as cash back on orders? Being part of a loyalty scheme that included exclusive offers and discounts etc?

The second part of my task is how would I (if I was the manufacturer) communicate this best with you? So my question is where do you take notice of offers? Emails, Facebook, Twitter, Blogs, Forums, other tiling websites?

O

Oli_Spencer

No, I'm a student studying Marketing and this is the task that has been set in our online marketing module. I'm just keen on hearing feedback to go into my research.

S

Spare Tool

99% of jobs i do the customer has already chosen the tiles or has a very good idea what they want and we're just employed to fit them properly...being a tiler isn't about buying tiles.
You can advise a customer where to go for the best choice and advice but its really down to their personal preferences...

W

White Room

I doubt any manufacturer would entertain a tiler buying direct from them..distributers seems our contact for supply, I just point the customer in the right direction.

T

Time's Ran Out

No manufacturer would be interested in supplying a tiler direct.
They would try to supply tile shops if they can't get into the major retailers, but the quantities they'd need to supply could make it uneconomical .

S

Spare Tool

Any kitchen fitters out there....special offer on tree's freshly cut. Erm no thanks I'll go to Howdens.
There's got to be a middle man or the world would stop...

gamma38

TF
Reaction score
Smells a tad fishy to me this. How or why would a manufacturer ever really deal with the end user. You will never buy the quantities and that's just one small part of it. I think my next shop i will miss out tesco and go directly to there suppliers. What a crock of @$%t

W

WetSaw

Unless it's a cottage industry artisan manufacturer the quantity that a tiler is likely to buy is not going to be of interest to a manufacturer. I doubt even a large contractor would buy enough.

Ajax123

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
I’ve been set a task at college that I would like some help with please?

The aim of the task is to persuade tilers to buy their tiles directly from the manufacturer rather than their local trade/tile store. So my question is what would make you switch from buying from a distributor to a manufacturer? Would it be things such as cash back on orders? Being part of a loyalty scheme that included exclusive offers and discounts etc?

The second part of my task is how would I (if I was the manufacturer) communicate this best with you? So my question is where do you take notice of offers? Emails, Facebook, Twitter, Blogs, Forums, other tiling websites?

good products, good service, orders delivered in full on time every time to the specified locations.

Sadly I think it is a lost cause as the manufactures cannot function effectively without the local distribution network. Bear in mind many manufacturers are based abroad and if the distributors were not there they would have to set up depots trucks, warehouses, etc etc. they would also in general shy away from the credit exposure that many tilers represent.

T

Time's Ran Out

'the credit exposure that many Tilers represent'
Wow that's a far reaching statement which passes aspersions on my trade!

Reply to College task – help needed please in the Australia area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

Please note that this thread is old so replying to it may not get a response. You'd be best posting a new thread with a good 4 or 5 word title.
This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.
Tile Contractor Forum. The useful tile contractor website.

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
Apatel
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks