Discuss Classic Travertine - Disaster in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums. The USA and UK Tiling Forum (Also now Aus, Canada, ROI, and more)

T

TilingLogistics

any chance of doing a video Kev? would love to see how it's done:gettree:

One of the problems is trying to demonstrate the lippage before! You can mark it with coins of various thicknesses but it still doesn't show how bad it really is. On this job for example bearing in mind its only a small job you can lay a 1 metre straight edge across the room and pass a 2p coin under it in the middle where the two tiles meet. Then move it down to the next row and you can pass a £1 coin under.

Kev

S

Sully

You, 3 watchers and a video camera team on a 14 sq/m kitchen floor ..... I am picturing all the corgi Dennis's that I saw on the TV last week and I should imagine it would be quite a sight :ninja:

oh how I wish I could be there!

Last edited by a moderator:
T

TilingLogistics

You, 3 watchers and a video camera team on a 14 sq/m kitchen floor ..... I am picturing all the corgi Dennis's that I saw on the TV last week and I should imagine it would be quite a sight :ninja:

oh how I wish I could be there!

So do I there's no one to make the tea :idea3: :merrychristmas:

Kev

T

TilingLogistics

Anyway there's only one definate and I am off to sunny North Wales on a 3 day out of hours job til late Sunday night so if there is anyone else interested my number is in my sig block.

Kev

G

Grace'sDad

kev im free that day and im trying to get tickets to see the stereophonics that evening at the nec so if you dont mind and all going well this week and weekend then i would love to give you a hand speak tomorrow lunchtime i will be driing to karndean hq at evesham

I got tickets and I'll be there!!! Oh yes indeedy!!!

T

TilingLogistics

This job is getting worse as each day goes by. I have found allsorts of little hidden nightmares like tiles spot glued with silicone 3 have come loose so far it looks as though virtually none of them have any more than 50% coverage. I also found out yesterday the client paid the tiler twice to lay them because he was not happy the first time. I will try and take some side on shots tomorrow of the substrate and the mess this idiot has left under the units. The client has disappeared on Business today and I decided to put the UFH heating on very low and it doesn't look if that works either. Anyone know anything about Warmup?

Kev

D

doug boardley

oh dear, sounds like a re-tile and a disenchanted customer, how do you stand on a job like this Kev, surely it's pointless doing your job if it's all unstable?

H

Highlander

This job is getting worse as each day goes by. I have found allsorts of little hidden nightmares like tiles spot glued with silicone 3 have come loose so far it looks as though virtually none of them have any more than 50% coverage. I also found out yesterday the client paid the tiler twice to lay them because he was not happy the first time. I will try and take some side on shots tomorrow of the substrate and the mess this idiot has left under the units. The client has disappeared on Business today and I decided to put the UFH heating on very low and it doesn't look if that works either. Anyone know anything about Warmup?

Kev

Kev,

Could be they have wired up the thermostat wrong they might have put the sensor wires into the wrong pins if you switch on the thermostat and it comes up with error message and contact Warmup good possibility it is that.

Give me a call if you get stuck.

Gary

T

TilingLogistics

oh dear, sounds like a re-tile and a disenchanted customer, how do you stand on a job like this Kev, surely it's pointless doing your job if it's all unstable?

Doug it's not all unstable I would certainly question the adhesive coverage though? As I get loose tiles I lift them and either refix or replace. In the end the customer will end up with a flat and in this case a highly polished floor properley sealed.

When you get a floor laid this badly with lippage I expect to find other things as well because I would hope no professional tiler would leave a floor in this state. So I assume this was a cowboy who laid this floor. Strangely he is no longer contactable on his mobile and the address was suspect as well I think.

One of my guys who has beeen with me since February actually hit the nail on the head when he said to me in the van "I think a stair carpet would be his best option":santa_cheesy:

Kev

A

Alberta Stone

Maybe do a continuity check on the heating wire, you can do that from the panel where it connects using a multi-meter.
Hopefully the ( DO NOT SWEAR) didn't nick the wires.

T

TilingLogistics

Maybe do a continuity check on the heating wire, you can do that from the panel where it connects using a multi-meter.
Hopefully the ( DO NOT SWEAR) didn't nick the wires.

Cheers will get my son to look at it for him tomorrow

Kev

C

craig t

Very expensive kitchen gone wrong, lift it i will screed it flat and re lay then you can give polish as no honing will be necessary.

T

TilingLogistics

Very expensive kitchen gone wrong, lift it i will screed it flat and re lay then you can give polish as no honing will be necessary.

Craig,

Well I won't need to polish it either will I? Its already polished so it will be perfect by the time you have finished:santa_cheesy:

I'll just tell him he has to have his kitchen floor ripped up for the third time, repurchase all the tiles, addy, grout, UFH, self leveller and sealer. Will you be doing this for nothing or shall I give him a M2 price for you as well:gettree::gettree::gettree:

I take it your flight was OK back to Glasgow then!!! Thanks for the help on the Court Job!

Kev

Last edited by a moderator:

Reply to Classic Travertine - Disaster in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.
Tile Contractor Forum. The useful tile contractor website.

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dawz84
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks