Tile Forum | America Tile Forum

Welcome to America Tile Forum, the USA Tile Industry. The Tile Association of America.

Discuss Ceramic Tiles on Floor Boards in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums. The USA and UK Tiling Forum (Also now Aus, Canada, ROI, and more)

P

petergft

Hi Guy's,
This is my first post on your great site. I'm laying 333mm Ceramic Tiles on to bathroom floorboards, approx 4.5 sqm. I heard people say with a flexible adhesive you can tile directly onto floorboards,if secure!
If i "Ply-out" it will produce a step up to the bathroom and I wondered what the minimum ply gauge I could use would be? is 9mm aceptable?
The materials I have purchased are; Bal Single Part Flexible Adhesive, Bal Bond, Tilemaster Flexible Wide Joint Grout for Ceramic Tiles.
Can anyone assure me before I commence, just repairing some boards and removing Bidet and Toilet.
Thanks,
Pete

M

McP77

If the floor boards are in good condition and screwed down at 300mm centres then you can tile straight onto them using something like FastFlex or Dunlop tile on wood rapid.

If plying out you need to be using 18mm ply. I've used 12mm in my own house with no problems but you need to be aware that that is thinner than british standards.

P

petergft

McP77,
Thanks for the reply. Is it not better to tile onto any gauge plywood than straight onto floorboards?
thanks,
Pete

M

McP77

It depends on the adhesive you are using. Fastflex is designed to go straight onto floorboards. It will work without plywood.

Something like your single part flexible is designed to go onto a plywood overlay of 15mm, 18mm in practice.

With your 6mm and 12mm plywood situation you are in between the two - overkill for Fastflex, not really enough for single part flexible. Even when using something like gold star with flexible additive (more flexible than single part) the data sheet still specifies 15mm ply.

P

petergft

It would be much better if I could go straight onto floorboards, I could change the adhesive as you suggest. I've removed by Bidet and Toilet and, I'm replacing them onto the new tiles which are 8mm gauge, would they be stable enough mounted like this?

M

McP77

You'll have no problems with FastFlex's strength. As with all floors make sure you have a solid adhesive bed.

As a tip, if you do use fastflex make sure you wear gloves and work very clean. The stuff doesn't move when it's started to set. Keep your joints clean too. Unlike a cement based adhesive when you can get the grout rake in, the fastflex is more rubbery, so not easy to clean after.

B

beattsmjk

Hi

I can concur with Mcp77, fastflex is a particularly nasty adhesive too work with in my opinion. Its a nightnmare to get off your skin, so gloves are indeed essential, plus as MCP77 states keep the grout joints clean (i didnt and spent two hours scraping before grouting :sad_smile: !!!

plus work fast, in this heat it skins over pretty quickly.

P

petergft

Thanks for your reply's,
I'm in a quandry now can't decide if to use fastflex. Not being a professional tiler, like you guys, is fastflex the product for me ? McP77 you advise ensure a good solid bed of adhesive, is this not determined by the Trowel? I'm using a 12mm square notched. What area of adhesive should be laid, by someone like me, to ensure time to lay Tile correctly and clean out joints is acheived?
Thanks,
Pete

E

enduro

What i do on a small area like this, is to lay the tiles out dry, do all the cuts, and number them, then start laying, you will find this alot easier if using fastflex.

D

DHTiling

well said enduro mate was just about to post that...you beat me too it..lol lol ......dave....

take enduro's advise pete.... dry cut all tiles will be much easier and quicker once fastflex has been mixed, and your choice of trowel will be fine to achieve solid bed fix..........dave...

M

McP77

Would also mix up half a bag/bottle or even a third at a time rather than the whole lot.

P

petergft

I'm beginning to grow in confidence! is it also necessary to screw the floorboards down and, if so at what centre's ? Should spacers be used on cut tiles against the walls? What impliment is best for for cleaning out gaps?

D

DHTiling

You will only be able to screw the boards down where they meet the joists.... so these will be about 400mm to 450m centres... so make sure all boards are well screwed down and any damaged ones replaced......just use a sponge to wash excess of you go ..dont leave any f/flex to dry on surface of tiles or wil be a swine to remove............dave..

E

enduro

Also if you want white or ivory floor grout use a white adhesive, if grey grout use grey adhesive.

P

petergft

The Grout I'm using is Tilemaster Flexible Wide Joint Grout for Ceramic floors,Grey is this OK?
Does Fastflex come in differing colours?

Reply to Ceramic Tiles on Floor Boards in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

Please note that this thread is old so replying to it may not get a response. You'd be best posting a new thread with a good 4 or 5 word title.
This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.
Tile Contractor Forum. The useful tile contractor website.

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lowpaul22
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks