Tile Forum | America Tile Forum

Welcome to America Tile Forum, the USA Tile Industry. The Tile Association of America.

Discuss Ceramic tiles in a shower in the Tanking and Wetrooms Forum area at TilersForums. The USA and UK Tiling Forum (Also now Aus, Canada, ROI, and more)

Reaction score
I know most porcs have an extremely low absorption rate so don't soak up water (<0.5%) whereas ceramics soak up water like a sponge.

I will conduct an experiment this weekend to demonstrate!
Ah see, there are some uses for Bank Holiday weekends. If I can manage my iPad well enough I will post some tiling tool reviews to compensate for you giving up precious family time to scientifically add to this debate. :cool:

Andy Allen

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
Ceramics soak up water on the back of the tile.
So unless you don't read the instructions and fix them glazed side down then I don't see a problem ....:)
What would your concerns be Andy?

F

Flintstone

Ceramics soak up water on the back of the tile.
So unless you don't read the instructions and fix them glazed side down then I don't see a problem ....:)
What would your concerns be Andy?
My point being Andy , we tank walls because water gets past the tiles to the wall, which means, it will also get to the back of the tile and soak into a ceramic tile

O

One Day

My point being Andy , we tank walls because water gets past the tiles to the wall, which means, it will also get to the back of the tile and soak into a ceramic tile
Yes. If grouting is decent and fixing methods are decent then it will last twenty years under normal domestic use, two or three times a day.
Showers that are in use more, or loads more, need additional considerations. Ie tile choice, substrate choice, grout choice.
You put up cheap ceramics with tubbed adhesive onto bare plasterboard, then use the shower 20 times a day, it won't last.
Twice a day, good chance it will.

U

Unused Account 1

Tilers been fitting ceramics for years in showers ,ive done probably 500 like most guys on here never had one problem ,everything is porcelain now ,did my first cramics for a year last week ,got 12 houses to do

D

Dumbo

Tilers been fitting ceramics for years in showers ,ive done probably 500 like most guys on here never had one problem ,everything is porcelain now ,did my first cramics for a year last week ,got 12 houses to do
I did loads of units in a retirement home a couple of years back some with two bathrooms . All in ceramics with ready mix

Reply to Ceramic tiles in a shower in the Tanking and Wetrooms Forum area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

Please note that this thread is old so replying to it may not get a response. You'd be best posting a new thread with a good 4 or 5 word title.
This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.
Tile Contractor Forum. The useful tile contractor website.

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lowpaul22
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks