Tile Forum | America Tile Forum

Welcome to America Tile Forum, the USA Tile Industry. The Tile Association of America.

Discuss Ceramic Tiles chipping in the Australia area at TilersForums. The USA and UK Tiling Forum (Also now Aus, Canada, ROI, and more)

DIYMARK

TF
Reaction score
I am using a Rubi TR-700-S dry cutter to cut ceramics but they are constantly chipping as shown in the attached image. The chip is always where the paddles press to break the tile along the cut.

Any tips to avoid this please?

Attachments

• tile cut.jpg
    52.6 KB · Views: 106

Sean Kelly

TF
Arms
Reaction score
Mark,
How big/small are those tiles?
What size wheel have you got in your cutter?
Are you pressing down too hard?

The score mark on yr pic does not look the best in the world! Have you scribed it several times, then cut?

Some tiles are right buggers to cut neat (usually the very cheap ones from the sheds).

I would use your smallest cutting wheel, then do a light score and snap.

DIYMARK

TF
Reaction score
Sean
They are 50cm x 25cm and I think I have been scoring too hard. Wheel is 5mm diameter. Have been trying with a lighter score and it seems much better so far. Thanks

Sean Kelly

TF
Arms
Reaction score
Mark, you just want to crack the glaze on the tile, but as I said some tiles will never break right. You might have to use nippers or an angle grinder! If I am having problem tiles then I practice on some off cuts, like I had to do last week on some Topps tiles porcelain (very brittle).

S

Stef

I used to have a break out like that with a TS 60+,
As said I think you are scoring too hard, it only needs a slight score & snap to break the tile.
I've got a tr400 & it's a good cutter for glazed ceramics, although I did switch to sigma last year & they are far superior cutters..

R

rj1884

As Ali said. I found I used to press down to hard which caused the cutting wheel to drop down into the tile and chip the edges like your tile in the picture. If it requires slightly more pressure then a light push then I raise the wheel to be on the safe side.

R

RDTiling

Tiles I was working with yesterday in a kitchen splash back (500 x 250) were exactly the same (I was using a TS-700) - cheap Glazed Ceramics and the lightest of touches was what was required! Even then some of the tiles were breaking all over the place.

Time I got myself a Sigma 2g for kitchens - I do like my Rubi, but its to big for a confined space like a kitchen.

Reply to Ceramic Tiles chipping in the Australia area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

Please note that this thread is old so replying to it may not get a response. You'd be best posting a new thread with a good 4 or 5 word title.
This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!
Tile Contractor Forum. The useful tile contractor website.

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
Apatel
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks