Search the forum,

Discuss Can I Use Tilemaster Anti Fracture Matting Over A Ply Sub Base in the Australia Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

L

lmkitchens

I'm fitting a walk in shower this week and it is the first i've done!

I'm read up and taken in all of the information on here i hope. I've pulled the existing sub floor up to install the drains and move pipe work and for ease I was going to ply and over board with PCS boards.

The former tray is 20mm so if it would all work I could potentially use TM anti fracture matting to decouple the ply and not have to build the former up another 6mm.

If I'm ok to do this can I tank the matting, I assume I can?

I can always speak to Tile master tomorrow to discuss.

Thanks guys, Luke

O

Old Mod

If you're overboarding ply with backer boards and tanking there's no need for crack mat as far as I can see.
What's floor covering?
What thickness ply and boards are u using Luke?

L

lmkitchens

Sorry, Can I use the matting instead of the over board in backer boards.

It will reduce my height build up and make life simpler if I can!

L

lmkitchens

18mm ply onto joists, nogged out etc.

The floor area is roughly 1.8 x 1.3 upto the former tray.

Joists are 9 x 2's and deflection free

L

lmkitchens

I had, but no one around here holds it.

If I had thought about it earlier I would have seen if I could locate some!

J

J Sid

So you are plying the floor, seal backs and sides.
20mm former, covered foam insulation board? I use alot, then 20mm insulation boards over rest of floor, same make as former.
Tank joints, edges etc then tile.
Ufh ?

L

lmkitchens

I'm building a 18mm ply base level with the joists for the former - Yes a cement cover foam core tray.

I hoped to then ply the rest of the floor sealed on back and sides as mentioned above ^^

So that would leave my ply 2mm lower than the tray in theory

Lay TM anti fracture matt over the ply, maybe run into the former a few inches?

Tank all joins, tray, wall etc.

No UFH
50mm mosiacs in the former
300 x 600 porc on the rest of the walls and floor
Walls are tanked PB so weight isn't an issue

Is this ok to do?

J

J Sid

I would be worried about the ply / former joint. Being different materials, and one being ply there could be excessive movement which a crack mate may not handle, last thing you want in a wet area is possible cracks, even years down the line.

J

J Sid

Think from what you say, 12mm ply if you must but 12mm HardieBacker sounds better and a 10mm sheet of the same make as former. Then tape and tank joints. Bed former down 2mm higher
Same level then

Reply to Can I Use Tilemaster Anti Fracture Matting Over A Ply Sub Base in the Australia Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

Posting a tiling question to the forum? Post in Tilers' Talk if you are unsure which forum to post in. We'll move it if there's a more suitable forum.
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

Advertisement

New Tiling Questions

Replies you've not seen