Search the forum,

Discuss Building A Raised Deck / Balcony - Advice Please in the Tile Adhesive / Grout Advice area at TilersForums.com.

C

completehandy

We have a bungalow built on a sloping site so the floor at the back is around 1.5 metres above the outside ground level.

We want to build a balcony / raised deck and to keep costs to a minimum I am planning to build two brick piers around 2 metres from the back wall and around 4.5 metres apart. Between these I will run a timber beam and then run floor joists back from this beam to a wall plate.

Although it would probably be the cheapest option I really don’t want to use timber decking and would ideally like a tiled surface for minimum maintenance and to create a dry area below which could be used for storage.

On a new build down the road they used two layers of shuttering ply and then tiled directly onto this.

I did briefly speak to the guy who was tiling this and he said he was simply going direct onto the ply using a “Special” adhesive. This sounds like a recipe for disaster to me but I have to admit that after two years it does actually still look OK.

In was also thinking using shuttering ply but laying something like Ditra Membrane (or a cheaper equivalent if possible) between this and the tiles. I know Schulter do a range of products for balconies but they look very expensive and would probably make the project too expensive for me to go ahead.

Any suggestions / alternatives bearing in mind I have a very tight budget.

John.

C

Concrete guy

You'll need planning permission before you start anything.

Unless it's changed recently you require permission for decking that's built more than 30cm above ground level.

O

One Day

With external applications, particularly terraces and balconies you really have 2 options (1 choice):
Do it right or bodge it.
Schluter's terrace systems work by protecting the tiles - they do NOT waterproof.

Read up on it - also check out GUTJAHR | Home page

Reply to Building A Raised Deck / Balcony - Advice Please in the Tile Adhesive / Grout Advice area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

I had a small leak in the main water line before the stop tap in my 1950s house. The copper pipe...
Replies
Views
Hi! I'm looking for some advice, I have laid some SLC (Mapei 1210) in our conservatory in...
Replies
Views
Good morning all. After a little advice. I'll post pictures a bit later. However.... The...
Replies
Views
Bathroom floor. I would be grateful for advice on how to prepare my bathroom sub floor ready for...
Replies
Views

Advertisement

New Tiling Questions

Replies you've not seen