Search the forum,

Discuss Brick Slips fixing advice in the DIY Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

G

gaggarwal1981

Hi, I would welcome some advice as I have got myself into a pickle.

I planned to attach brick slips to a bonded coat in my kitchen however have realised that they will be too heavy to be directly attached so am now considering attaching a cement based back board but am not sure how to fix it. I can not use baton as I no longer have the space.

My current wall is built as follows; Solid wall with 5cm Kingspan insulated plaster board attached with dot and dab. This has then had a coat of bonding applied.

Can I glue the board to the bonding coat??

If it needs to be mechanically fitted, what would I use and would screwing to the plasterboard be enough or should I fix to the brick.

If I apply brick slips to the bonding direct, a few levels at a time, would the plaster hold??

Thanks.

Aaron

Dan

Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
I think you'll need to mechanically fix to the substrate but this is out of my league I'll leave it to the pro's to advise.

I'm guessing, and it is just a guess, plugs and screws (using the correct screws that won't tarnish with time) at 200mm centres and use adhesive blobs in the same place on the back of the boards so the screws go through them.

But as said. Not actually sure personally.

S

Stef

Why has the plasterboard had a coat of bonding & why has it not had a coat of finished plaster?

Reaction score
Why would u bond over plaster board that will reduce the weight it can hold bonding over it means who ever dot and dabbed it obviously didn't use a straight edge to ensure it was flat and if u was to go over with backer board then brick slips would it hold the test of time somehow I doubt it I would just take all down screw 2b2 to wall dpc behind timber then screw 12 MM backer to to timber job done nice solid base

Reply to Brick Slips fixing advice in the DIY Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Hi! I'm looking for some advice, I have laid some SLC (Mapei 1210) in our conservatory in...
Replies
Views
I had a small leak in the main water line before the stop tap in my 1950s house. The copper pipe...
Replies
Views

Advertisement

New Tiling Questions

Replies you've not seen