Search the forum,

Discuss Best Way To Lay Mosaics in the Australia Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

Reaction score
Having read part of the nightmare mosaic thread (and I concur with the comments, shocking) I was wondering what was the best way to lay mosaics well ? So far I've only had to deal with a few square inlays or borders to split up large tile arrangements and have found that putting the tiles onto the plastic sticky squares first to make the whole lot act like a single tile is by far the best way and also usually makes the mosaics about the same depth as the normal tiles aiding in laying them accurately and without them going all over the place.
Is this the best way to do smaller amounts of mosaics when combined with tiles ?
If the install is only mosaics then do you just go for a thinner bed and a more rapid strong first grab adhesive and perhaps push them on with a large flat surface ?? Thanks.

S

SJPurdy

As above "dog tooth" method for borders.

If large areas of mosaic only then appropriate notched trowel eg 4mm for smaller (eg 25mm) mosaic or a BAL solid thin bed trowel for larger (eg 50mm square) mosaic.
Use a good quality adhesive with strong bonding strength especially on glass mosaics.

Press mosaics firmly into adhesive bed with the flat of eg a grout float

Reaction score
I like the dog tooth method, great tip, many thanks, will definitely try that next time. Also the other advice, hopefully get to try it out before long and can post the results. :)

Reply to Best Way To Lay Mosaics in the Australia Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

10 Tiling Tips for Fixing Tiles to Bathroom Walls = From UKTilingForum.co.uk There are a few...
Replies
Views
Hi! I'm looking for some advice, I have laid some SLC (Mapei 1210) in our conservatory in...
Replies
Views
I had a small leak in the main water line before the stop tap in my 1950s house. The copper pipe...
Replies
Views
Posting a tiling question to the forum? Post in Tilers' Talk if you are unsure which forum to post in. We'll move it if there's a more suitable forum.
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

Advertisement

New Tiling Questions

Replies you've not seen