Tile Forum | America Tile Forum

Welcome to America Tile Forum, the USA Tile Industry. The Tile Association of America.

Discuss Best wall tile adhesive out there in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums. The USA and UK Tiling Forum (Also now Aus, Canada, ROI, and more)

T

tjsmiler

I think D20 and D30 are awfull to use, it just falls off the wall as you trawel up, so so frustratrating:mad: no rolling ridges?? i found that is all it does.

No such problems with BAL white star or Mapei's tub gear... spreads easy with no slippage and great sticking power.

Saying that i do find all Ardex powder stuff fantastic and i agree with you about the self primming part in D20, but apart from that YUCK!!!

K

kins73

I have got to agree with you with regard to Ardex D20, bloody nice to work with. I was taught with the stuff so you get used to it- i have never had problems with slippage or the need to use wall battens- they must be doing it wrong if it slips that much!!
The thing is, at the end of the day everyone will have a favourite adhesive/ grout manufacturer, if it works for you then use it, if it doesn't try something else.
I would continue to use Ardex products as they are quality and do what they say they are gonna do. I have just fixed my own tiles at home on the top of the window surround-upside down-floor to ceiling tiles. They never moved at all- I was worried that I would go downstairs and hear a big crash and find tiles lying in the bath- not so- a great adhesive-my two penny's worth!!

Neil

F

Fekin

I like Bal whitestar for bathrooms, but I think Topps topfix is great gear aswell, very good stick.

S

shaunykieron

biscem is good stuff i reckon i use it all the time in genaral use, its got a good stick and its nice and creamy too also comes in large 15lt tubs

shaun....

G

GazTech

White star has it for me..hands down,but there are many good makes out there...never by afraid to try new ones....ask you dealer for samples free and use if you like it ...Gaz

C

CLAYS TILES

White star has it for me..hands down,but there are many good makes out there...never by afraid to try new ones....ask you dealer for samples free and use if you like it ...Gaz

do topps give out samples then gaz???

i've only eva used BAL, so i can't really comment!

G

gaz100uk

Hi all,

Be kind, as this is my 1st post on here.

I am about to embark on my 1st tileing project, the bathroom (including shower) from floor to ceiling. I have got my tiles 400*250. I was going out the weekend to get my adhesive. I was planning on getting a universal/waterproof unibond from my local B&Q. However after coming accros this site, im now wondering if this is a wise choice. Never relised there was so many adhesives around.
Any help for a complete novice would be great.
Gary

wayne

TF
Reaction score
i would use a cement based adhesive on tiles that size or use granfix multiflex. i wouldnt use any adhesive from diy shops in my opinion they are crap

F

Fred

I mainly use powder gear. I like Ardex tubber D20. But, what happens when the walls are all out? Tubber gear will never go off after 4mm. I've seen that so many times with builders who reckon you can put up 300x600 with it! What if the plastering is out?

I love Mapei, don't care what people say. Their white slow set powder gear is great. And their fast set is great, it gives you a better open time then alot of the powder gear out their.

Ardex is good, but very expensive. Bal powder gear is very good.

I also use alot of Howtes grey & white SP rapid. Lovely stuff.

I hate, and repeat hate Nicobond, full stop. Their rapid set is set in the bucket in summer time before you can do anything with it. However, I like their tilers white grout, odd World!

wayne

TF
Reaction score
thats the only problem i have had with nicobond adhesives. you can grout tiles after one hour it goes off that fast.

Reply to Best wall tile adhesive out there in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

Please note that this thread is old so replying to it may not get a response. You'd be best posting a new thread with a good 4 or 5 word title.
This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.
Tile Contractor Forum. The useful tile contractor website.

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lowpaul22
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks