Discuss Bal White Star after storage in the Adhesive and Grout area at TilersForums. USA and UK Tiling Forum

P

paradigm

Hello, I'm new here and looking for a little advice.
I have just opened a tub of Bal White Star ready-mixed adhesive which has been stored unopened for some time. It still seems usable enough but perhaps slightly on the thick side. My question is: Can the adhesive be thinned slightly by mixing in some water? I ask this because when cleaning the tools with water the surplus adhesive seemed to absorb the water and result in a very smooth consistency. Any advice on this would be appreciated. Thanks to all.

OP
T

Time's Ran Out

It only has a 12 month shelf life so any 25 year guarantee will be null and void.
When the tiles fall off will saving a couple of quid seem worthwhile ?

OP
P

paradigm

Thanks for your very prompt reply John - much appreciated! You are absolutely correct and I will buy new adhesive.

One concern I have is that I would like to be able to check the expiry date when I purchase (I have had an issue in the past with a local supplier regarding expiry dates). Looking at a very old Bal container I see the number: 006275 which may be a date code? Do we know how to interpret such a code and would this be a manufacturing date or an expiry date? It would be helpful if manufacturers made this kind of information clear. I tried to look at the Bal website today for information but it seems to be down. Thanks for any information you can provide.

OP
T

Time's Ran Out

I never use ready mixed adhesive so short of ringing their helpline I can't help.
You'd be better off buying a bag cement based adhesive. Also look at the size and type of tile you will be using and the background substrate.

OP
P

paradigm

Thanks John, your good advice is greatly appreciated and I can proceed with more confidence.

Incidentally, I found out about the BAL date coding system - the response is as follows:

"Prior to June 2014, the batch number system for BAL products was a six digit number with no gaps (eg.”702456”).
Since June 2014, the batch number system on BAL products has been in the format YYMMxxxx i.e. the first four digits represent the year and month of manufacture (the remaining digits providing additional internal traceability).
For example, a product manufactured in July 2017 will begin with the digits 1707……….
This is the date of manufacture and the shelf life of the product is then 12 months from this date i.e. the product will then expire in July 2018".

Trust this might be of some interest.

OP
P

paradigm

Thanks, the honest answer is that I did not manage to find out! BAL said that the code I assumed was a date code was probably a code for the plastic container, and by that time I had disposed of the clearly out of date material. I did not personally buy it originally. I intend trying bagged adhesive as suggested. Thanks for the great advice on this forum!

Reply to Bal White Star after storage in the Adhesive and Grout area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile training advice or the Tile Standards

This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

Replies you've not seen

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dazzer