Search the forum,

Discuss Any tips on fitting Porcelain wall mosaic? in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

S

Stone

My kitchen fitter has swerved fitting my kitchen wall tiles. They are a brick mosaic porcelain tile in sheets 300 x 300.
I have bought (what I think is) a recommended powder based adhesive and just wondered if anyone could advise on preperation ie Unibond yes/no........thickness of adhesive on wall 2mm/4mm?.... butter sheet of tiles yes/no?
Is there a problem with them falling off the wall? I have an electric diamond tile cutter and have done a reasonable amount of DIY tiling before with decent results but my 'mate' has made me doubt myself on this and the tiles were very expensive so don't want to be chucking them or washing them off!!!

Any tips gratefully recieved.

Mick

V

Varley

Depends on the thickness of the tiles as to what size notch trowel to use, the colour will depend on wether they need to be back skimmed.

Which brand of powdered adhesive did you buy?

Don't unibond the wall, use acrylic primer.

S

Stone

Cheers for the reply. The tiles are 8mm thick. The only adhesive I could see for porcelain was Wickes own brand 'For stone and percelain wall and floor tiles"

Is the main problem that they don't absort water like ceramic?

V

Varley

You can just use a normal wall trowel for those tiles mate.

BAL mosaic fix is about the best on the market (in my opinion) for fixing mosaics, more expensive but well worth it :wink_smile:

G

GazTech

You can just use a normal wall trowel for those tiles mate.

BAL mosaic fix is about the best on the market (in my opinion) for fixing mosaics, more expensive but well worth it :wink_smile:
Spot on as usual Var,mosaic fix is one of the best adhesives known to man
icon14.gif

D

DHTiling

iv'e fixed these a few times now, use 6mm notch trowel and white star adhesive and use a flexible grout .. dave...

S

Stone

Cheers guys, will let you know the results next week (or when they fall off the wall!)

D

Deleted member 1779

Dont forget if you need to cut neat holes into them to try our drill kit.

If you are anywhere near docklands (and this applies to all readers) then we are at Tile-&-Stone next Sunday doing demos for three days.

Its at Excel and on 1 2 3 July 2007

R

S

Stone

One last thing........ these are going above a solid Oak worktop (which will obviosley move). What do you suggest I put between the upstand and the tiles? Flexible grout? Silicone? Other mastic/filler?

Reply to Any tips on fitting Porcelain wall mosaic? in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Hi, I'm new to the forum and fairly new to tiling, my only previous "proper" job was my recent...
Replies
Views
Posting a tiling question to the forum? Post in Tilers' Talk if you are unsure which forum to post in. We'll move it if there's a more suitable forum.
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

Advertisement

New Tiling Questions

Replies you've not seen