Tile Forum | America Tile Forum

Welcome to America Tile Forum, the USA Tile Industry. The Tile Association of America.

Discuss Anhydrite or Concrete - dont know in the Canada area at TilersForums. The USA and UK Tiling Forum (Also now Aus, Canada, ROI, and more)

Filip

TF
Reaction score
Thought I would have an easy job to tile my daughters new build house kitchen floor but then I start reading on help forums about Anhydrite floors. But I do not know if she has one or not, its a new build Barrett home.
My local supplier stocks Tilemaster and I see that they do Anhyfix but the spec says it is not suitable for a normal concrete floor which I do not know if she has.
So what to do - do I sand and then SBR or APD and then use a normal cement based adhesive.

T

Tile Shop

I have a feeling that all Barratt homes are Sand/Cement screed, (based on recent local plots) but would double check with them just in case . Failing that, if you can take a picture and post it up here, we may be able to ID it for you. It wouldn't be wise for us to advise a solution until you know what you're dealing with.

Andy Allen

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
If its a new build on a housing site i can almost guarantee its a sand and cement floor, give it a good scrape to remove any debris, prime with an acrylic Primer and tile away..
BTW. .....They sometimes level the floors with SLC which can look like a anhydrite screed .

Filip

TF
Reaction score
Thanks chaps for the quick reply,pictures attached I will get my daughter to ask the site people as it is a big build that will be going of for years. I will have a look and a poke but I have a picture taken when they let us in at pre plaster stage to see where all the pipe and cables were and it looks a bit light grey like the photos of Anhydrite I have seen. But another one taken the other day when they had to rip out and replace a cupboard looks like sand and cement.

DSC02629floor.jpg floor2.jpg

Last edited:

Filip

TF
Reaction score
been over today and spoke to a site manager who said that the floor is concrete and then its floated to give a smooth surface. On closer inspection I can see that some of the top smoothed layer has come off leaving a harder screed looking surface.Some areas are compleatly free of any top surface. Some of the smoothed areas are quite hard and others are easily scrapped off. Is there anything wrong with this approach.
Sand off the areas that are weak and leave the rest.
Seal with two coats of Prime Plus | Flexible Primer & Bonding Agent | Tilemaster Adhesives - http://www.tilemasteradhesives.co.uk/preparation-products/primeplus-flexible-primer-and-bonding-agent
And then use Standard Set Extrabond | Standard Setting, Polymer Modified, Wall and Floor Tile Adhesive - http://www.tilemasteradhesives.co.uk/adhesives/standard-set-extrabond-tile-adhesive
Its a kitchen and the tiles are ceramic 60x30.
Attached close up pictures of floor

P1000840.JPG P1000841.JPG P1000843.JPG P1000844.JPG

B

Bill

What ever it is it is in poor condition...... 600x300 ceramic on floors is asking for trouble. Are the British Ceramic Tile by any chance?

Any UFH?

Filip

TF
Reaction score
Just looked myself and yes it does doesn't it, I am getting my daughter to send me a picture of the end of the box with the info on but while she is sending that - here are a couple of shots from the brochure

P1000847.JPG P1000848.JPG

Last edited:

Filip

TF
Reaction score
Just looked on the bottom of the tile I have here and it says PORCELAN MADE IN TURKEY embossed in the tile and they are 10mm thick

Last edited:
T

Time's Ran Out

Check the stock before you start!
I had the same situation last year with this range.
Topps advertise that they are made in Britain and are suitable for floors - both facts are not true. The tile they show is a white biscuit wall tile that they are selling like BCT tiles with soft glaze, totally unsuitable for floors. However the tiles I received boxed as above were in fact porcelain and made in Turkey!
When this was pointed out to Topps in M25 corridor area of Redhill they stated that they were changing supplier of this range and hadn’t updated their webpage!
So they are advertising a British range of ceramic tiles to look like British quarried stone, but switching the supply to a Turkish porcelain without telling you! Sums them up really.

J

Just Rizzle

looks like a screed layence has settled on surface like anhydrite i would sand off as this is loose and will not secure the adhesive or slr and must be removed before tiling

Reply to Anhydrite or Concrete - dont know in the Canada area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

Please note that this thread is old so replying to it may not get a response. You'd be best posting a new thread with a good 4 or 5 word title.
This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.
Tile Contractor Forum. The useful tile contractor website.

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
laattaana
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks